Motor, props, and cavitation

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Motor, props, and cavitation

Post by Jaysen »

Not really. If I go lower the motor stays in the water. I’m thinking that this mean I need “longer throw” in the bracket.

I could drill some holes in the plate and get another 2” out of it. That’s probably the best plan.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Sounds like a plan...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Something seems amiss or it could be the photography.

So, here is a picture of the locking pin on another ob. When you shift to reverse, a hook grabs the pin and stops it from lurchin. The pin here is in the 2nd hole from the transom or what would be..
5951B2CB-F2D0-4443-A5D5-B9E25B3FAFCF.png
Here is the side view of your engine. I don't see a locking pin for the shifter to grab when you go in reverse.

???
1BBD529D-0584-4169-989D-E7EAC85525A6.png
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

If the engine is already tilted too far away from a locking pin, then it can't. What you might try is actually going to the fourth position on the bracket to see if you clget a grab.

But you can test all this without running. The engine, in reverse, should grab the locking pin and not bounce.

First, try to see if you understand the mechanism. It looks like your engine is dangling too far to lock..but photo is blurry and I am having a hard time seeing.

Pull the motor leg toward the boat and see if it'll lock before you do the other adjustments.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Here is a view of the mechanism. I am lifting it up with my finger. It must be down when you are in reverse. It looks like your engine is hanging too far away from the pin..

The pin os the rusty, dark thing .
1F979E0F-EC6D-4280-A8DB-2187EE9E798B.jpeg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

If your engine is hanging wrong; it won't lock.

It looks like it is back out outboard too far at the prop.

Moving these might fix it.
8699A1AE-9E9F-434E-A739-75CC15D27A30.jpeg

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I’m on phone so not as handy at editing pics...

If you look mid shaft you’ll see two black components. On is on a silver rod that is parallel to the shaft. The rod moves when the motor is in gear. When I’m reverse the shaft moves up and the block on the shaft pushed the block on “not on the shaft”. This block pivots a capture mechanism that locks the transom. I have verified that this IS ENGAGING and the motor won’t tilt. But there is play in the lock which is causing the prop to move a bit.

If I adjust those bolts on the lifting bracket it will tilt the motor “up”. I didn’t get. Good pic of the motor Dow , but it hangs straight.

I think cape man has pointed at the right idea to enable the solution others suggested... lower the prop. The problem with that is that no matter how I do it I wind up with the motor never getting clear of the water in the up position. Hmmmm.

In better news, very light winds today. Repeated the test. Boat reversed perfectly and we super easy to co trip with the rudder with minimal throttle. I think she is just high profile wind monster. Hoping to get a good “light wind” day to run through the handling games next week or so.

Thanks all.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yep agree you with cape man you need to lower the prop. I would look around for a different motor lowering system. Yours is obviously not working for you. Look for one that has more lift and and lowering range. That is a beautiful boat you have. I have been on a lot of sail boats that have not had problems with there backup motors. So I know there is a solution to your problem. There is no need to have your prop dragging, with the right lift system.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Definitely get that motor deeper!

I liked a kicker to be buried deep. You only ever seen to need them when things are going wrong, which always coincides with rough weather. Fully lowered, the cavitation plate on my glass tank is probably a foot under water, if not a little more. If it's rough enough, you can still bark it once in a while.

I would look for a mount with more throw, and mount it lower as well.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Can't you tilt her forward when not in use?