Ground sharing

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Ground sharing

Post by fallguy1000 »

Can I share the grounds for a bathroom fan and bathroom light?

Both low power, see no reason to run an xtra 10' of wire.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Ground sharing

Post by Jaysen »

Yes but...

You have to assume that at some time someone will up the load. So you need to make sure that the ground can handle the FULL LOAD of all circuits sharing it.

If you have 2x10a and 1x15a circuits (fuse sizes) then you need to use ground wire capable of handling 35a continuous.

Hope that makes sense.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:31 pm Yes but...

You have to assume that at some time someone will up the load. So you need to make sure that the ground can handle the FULL LOAD of all circuits sharing it.

If you have 2x10a and 1x15a circuits (fuse sizes) then you need to use ground wire capable of handling 35a continuous.

Hope that makes sense.
Yup. I just need to bus around enough cable.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Keep in mind that if you have them all on the same supply circuits (fuse) then the the same gauge all the way will work. Once you separate the circuits then the ground needs to handle the combined fuses.

Based on use I don’t think you need separate fuses.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Normally you route all the grounds to a ground bus and then a heavier wire to the final ground. Depending on how many things you have on your boat that need grounding you may need more than 2 12 post boards. Check Blue Seas for there boards.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978