Fuel Sender

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Fuel Sender

Post by fallguy1000 »

Anyone know why there is a grounding lug/screw hole on an aluminum tank?

Do I need to run the sender ground to that lug as well?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

APLJaK
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Fuel Sender

Post by APLJaK »

Tank (and metallic filler cap) should be bonded and tied to the negative bus. This is a safety issue to ensure that you don't have a potential charge difference between different parts of the fuel system (spark potential). It is also desireable from a corrosion standpoint.

While your fuel sender might make good enough connection through the tank, better to actually use a proper grounding wire to ensure a reliable connection.

You might want to look at the book Boatowners Illustrated Electrical Handbook by Charlie Wing (or similar)
https://www.amazon.com/Boatowners-Illus ... 0071446443

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

APLJaK wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:29 pm Tank (and metallic filler cap) should be bonded and tied to the negative bus. This is a safety issue to ensure that you don't have a potential charge difference between different parts of the fuel system (spark potential). It is also desireable from a corrosion standpoint.

While your fuel sender might make good enough connection through the tank, better to actually use a proper grounding wire to ensure a reliable connection.

You might want to look at the book Boatowners Illustrated Electrical Handbook by Charlie Wing (or similar)
https://www.amazon.com/Boatowners-Illus ... 0071446443
For some reason I thought the sender had a ground via the screws, so seemed odd to have another ground location is all.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

The lug serves as a static ground. Just as APLJak stated . You don't want to be filling up the tank and when you go to put the cap back on you get shocked, and a blow torch effect out the filler neck. The filler handle of the fuel station is metal to ground to the ground in the filler neck that is grounded to your ground bus. It is the same as with all automobiles. With everything grounded the chances of static building up is zero.
APLJaK wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:29 pm Tank (and metallic filler cap) should be bonded and tied to the negative bus. This is a safety issue to ensure that you don't have a potential charge difference between different parts of the fuel system (spark potential). It is also desireable from a corrosion standpoint.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Someone told me the requirement is due to the insulation on the sender. As in the sender ground is actually not touching the tank, but not seeing it.