Venting the console/electronics enclosure

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Venting the console/electronics enclosure

Post by fallguy1000 »

So, my console is above the water heater and the boiler exhaust travels through it. The real potential for excess heat exists.

But where to vent?

The steering wheel side is the console and running heat out the face of the console takes helm space.

The forward side is a shower, so no way to vent there. The port side is exterior, the ap processer lives there, but some room above it. The heat is lost to outside.

The star side is the same as the port side, but that is the boiler exhaust so not gonna vent there. It won't be legal.

The other option is the top of the helm station. I could install some small say 3/4" circles there. Downside is any exhaust fumes would hit the helmsman in a failure of the heating system. I suppose I could add co detection.

So, two choices. Up and into the enclosure or out the port side to the atmosphere....but then how do I keep coastal, salty, damp air away from electronics?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Re: Venting the console/electronics enclosure

Post by fallguy1000 »

https://www.solutionsdirectonline.com/a ... %20Moulded

? Thoughts?

My immediate thought is heat won't exit fast enough.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Not sure I am following you totally but can you vent the heat down low by the helmsman's feet or knees?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The enclosure is about 12" deep by 36" wide. It is about 75" high split in the middle. And the space will get really warm as the top narrows.

The idea to get the heat down to comfort the helmsman's feet is nice, but in the Gulf, may not be ideal either. But you are helping me, because I need to consider not wanting the heat vs wanting it. I think I'll opt for no heat because I have defrosters for the helm.

Still need to vent out excess heat...might need power and passive...

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I would think a small louvre top and bottom would set up a chimney effect and vent a lot of heat. the lower louvre could be high enough above the deck it would not let water in very easy.

cape man

Post by cape man »

What about just really good insulation for the exhaust pipe?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape man wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:18 am What about just really good insulation for the exhaust pipe?
I got the water heater under and the boiler next to it and it all comes to a point at the top.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:51 am I would think a small louvre top and bottom would set up a chimney effect and vent a lot of heat. the lower louvre could be high enough above the deck it would not let water in very easy.
Interesting. But what about the salty and damp airs getting in? I think the other thing is condensation in the case this way.

I found some air to air stuff, but man are they pricey. Perhaps cheaper than replacing the displays.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I feel like you are over thinking it. Create an isolation baffle to direct the hot air out while directing inbound “wet” away from electronics. Any atmospheric humidity would be the same anyway.

Maybe I’m missing something. Try another drawing as that seems to help.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.