Switches on the console

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Switches on the console

Post by fallguy1000 »

I have a complex issue. The czone uses the nema2000 network to take switch inputs. For example, the nema network is turned on with the battery switch and this allows the cabin lights to turn on.

Unfortunately, this means, for now, that all nema2000 devices turn on.

So, am I supposed to use a power isolater and split the nema2000 backbone into a switched and an unswitched section?

Then would I have a switch for the isolated backbone or just a switch for console instruments which would include the power isolated nema?

All of this is to keep my nema powered displays and other displays from turning on when I turn on the cabin batteries.

Comments welcome.

The power is from the house; not start batteries.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Switches on the console

Post by OrangeQuest »

I don't know anything about the NEMA 2000 stuff but, why would you have cabin light integrated into the instruments?
I have to learn about NEMA 2000 soon for when I start connecting my stuff together.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:19 pm I don't know anything about the NEMA 2000 stuff but, why would you have cabin light integrated into the instruments?
I have to learn about NEMA 2000 soon for when I start connecting my stuff together.
There is a czone computer that I use for dc distribution. It used NEMA devices that switches are connected to...

So, the boat cabin batteries turn on.

The NEMA is powered.

The czone computer communicates with switching. All switches are powered.

The Furuno FI70 instrument turns on automatically because it is powered by the NEMA.

I don't want that.

In order to stop it from turning on, I think I need a second NEMA network that is powered at the console. This means I have to distribute power for that circuit from my Czone and change the voltage on a second NEMA network and send power to the console that is switched. As of today, I just supplied power and a fuse panel to the console..

...more details available if anyone follows

...the digital switches are all software configured separately from the dc distribution

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I have some of it working now.

Just the one device turns on with nema and I don't want it to...
152000DC-860F-409D-B956-EC21D51BE377.jpeg
F94A2A82-272D-465C-A20B-A897B433B490.jpeg

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Just to make an overly simple suggestion, why not put the furuno on a power switch/relay? Then it will only power on when both are live.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Some devices can be wired to either turn on when they receive power or when their power button is pushed, I know my mfd works that way and I wired it to turn on with power and used an external switch. Can you wire your devices to only turn on when their actual power buttons are pressed?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:59 pm Just to make an overly simple suggestion, why not put the furuno on a power switch/relay? Then it will only power on when both are live.
The FI70 seems like it didn't turn on if properly shutdown tonight. Maybe they turn on if not shutdown or go to last known config off/on..

More tests tomorrow.

I asked on the furuno forum, but they didn't reply yet.