What if?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The cut off point is around 28'. In that size, hull panels of foam sandwich and plywood sandwich weigh the same.
In smaller sizes, for resistance to puncture, we have to increase the outside skin of the foam sandwich to a point where plywood composite is lighter at equal "strength".

About the design, I have already 3 hulls designed as preliminary sketches for that design. We are on our way.
It will take 2 or 3 months.
The result will be a hull with options:
power will be straight inboard diesel or stern-drive gas probably with jackshaft and twin outboards. I don't like the OB's . . .
Hull versions will be:
- open picnic boat style
- hard top as in the pic Joel posted
- lobsterboat style cabin
I may play with an old commuter type cabin too, retro stuff.

Beware, the picture shows a 34 footer. Our proportions will be different.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

CET
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CET »

Thank you for your response, Jacque. The design you reference above - will it be a planing or displacement hull?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

We work only on the planing hull right now.
I still keep the semi-displacement one in mind.
I fuel prices go up again, we may change our priorities.

CET
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CET »

jacquesmm wrote:We work only on the planing hull right now.
I still keep the semi-displacement one in mind.
I fuel prices go up again, we may change our priorities.
Great! I'm excited to see the finisged planing design! :)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Such a design can take between 3 and 4 months. It is already started and I may be able to post some preliminary sketches in 4 to 6 weeks.

That set of plans is going to cost more than our plans for smaller boats, around $ 600.00 but they are going to be more detailled.
Here is what we are working on:
*General Arrangement (Port and starboards interior and exterior profiles , deck plans , interior plans , interior sections)
*Hull Lines
*Deck Lines
*Interior Plans
*Pulpit and guardrail plans
*Engine room layout (Tanks , steering system ,Fuel and water systems etc)
*Engine and shaft line installations ( Rudder, shaft brackets, Propeller
specifications etc)
*Developable surfaces and sections for cutting (full size patterns)
*Hull scantling
*Deck scantling

I want to try something different for this one. Once we post preliminary drawings, we will take orders for the plans at a reduced cost. Once the plans are complete, they will sell for full price.

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. »

This sounds REALLY coo. $600 is a heck of a lot more. What will the discount be? :lol:

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Old E. wrote:This sounds REALLY coo. $600 is a heck of a lot more. What will the discount be? :lol:

Such a design requires around 400 hours of work.
Our plans are much more detailled than others and worth every $ but there will be several ways to save and even to get the plans free.
I have to discuss the discount with Joel, let's work on the design first.
The way to get the plans free is simple. For all large designs, we will include not only our regular discount voucher that gives you a discount of up to $ 100.00 on supplies but also special discounts vouchers.
For example, a builder of the new LB26 will get a full refund of the price of the plans if he buys all the hull materials from us.

CET
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CET »

jacquesmm wrote:
Old E. wrote:This sounds REALLY coo. $600 is a heck of a lot more. What will the discount be? :lol:

Such a design requires around 400 hours of work.
Our plans are much more detailled than others and worth every $ but there will be several ways to save and even to get the plans free.
I have to discuss the discount with Joel, let's work on the design first.
The way to get the plans free is simple. For all large designs, we will include not only our regular discount voucher that gives you a discount of up to $ 100.00 on supplies but also special discounts vouchers.
For example, a builder of the new LB26 will get a full refund of the price of the plans if he buys all the hull materials from us.
I think $600 sound very reasonable for plans for a boat of this magnitude when one considers the detail and comprehensiveness of Bateau plans. I own two sets of plans from Jacque as well as plans for several designs from other sources and I have found the Bateau plans provide FAR more information, detail and quality than any of the others. Jacque's plans were the first I purchased and I must say that, by comparison, I was disappointed with the others when I received them. I haven't quite decided which Bateau design to build first but I am confident that when I do I'll have everything I'll need to do a good job of it.

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. »

Don't worry I believe both of y'all. It is just seems to be a substantial departure from other many of the other plan prices.

I am really looking forward to seeing the completed plans. This could be a wonderful longer term project.