What if?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

What if?

Post by MadRus »

Just for fun. I have a question. What if? As in...

1. What if Jacques removed "most efficient use of plywood" from the equation?

2. What if 8' 6" was not the max standard for trailerable beam?

3. What if you could remove a parameter from one of your favorite designs? Which would it be?

I've often gotten a feeling that there's some deeply sunken boat design (sunk in his mind that is) that would love to bubble up if some restrictions were removed.

Kind of like asking to see a hipposkunkaphant. I think I'd ask to see a C25- C32 with an enclosed pilot house (standing room only) and lots of rear deck space for fishing. Something you could spread out in with a 10' beam. Like a Bertram without the tower or anything.

Anyone else?

MikeS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MikeS »

Center console, 30-32', 9-10' beam, inboard diesel. I love the CS styling but I'm flexible. Just a little something for Bahamas trips and offshore fishing/diving.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

One of these please.... :D

http://www.mjmyachts.com/models6.php

Image[/img]

gtcoupe
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gtcoupe »

A dive boat. Thru hull door in side for easy entry/exit. huge cockpit in rear, 19-21 loa, tank racks and a small cabin to warm up in northern seas. 8)
Completed: FL12 GV10
Next up: P19!
Doug

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

SHINE your my hero! :D

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by kiwi »

A 28' houseboat <groan> :D

Shine that boat you show is kind of like the 32' Lobster Jacques is working on right now 8) I like the attitude of that company - 1 hull and 4 versions to fit lots of differnet tastes and needs. Very cool marketing concept.

Tony
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com

Toni V
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Toni V »

I would like to know this:
1. What if Jacques removed "most efficient use of plywood" from the equation?
But really, how much the designs are changed - it would be interesting to know. Especially when good (but heavyish) plywood is much cheaper in here...

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Is the question about which parameter I would remove?
Number two, the trailerable width is not something that I take much in account. I'm not going to cripple a design to make it trailerable.
The one I would change right away is plywood. Foam core is the way to go for larger boats.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Yes, exactly. Those are good answers. I guess in general, there's always going to be some set of restrictions for any design whether it's based on technical ability of the builders, the materials used, the hydrodynamics of the thing, or government regulation. And then there's just the parameters of the intended use, or the program.

Shine, that's a sweet boat. Seems like it would be expensive to build or buy, but it is a nice looking modern version of a lobsta boat. More damn deck space though, please! Why must they always be mobile homes on the water? Can't it just be stripped for Spartan work-type stuff.

CET
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CET »

jacquesmm wrote:The one I would change right away is plywood. Foam core is the way to go for larger boats.
Jacque - your comment is interesting to me as I would like to some day build a larger boat and foam core construction intrigues me. What would you consider to be the "cut off" point for larger boats (i.e., the size at which foam is the preferred construction method)? Also, in the larger size range, what are the advantages of foam versus wood core? Thanks! :D