Bilge Opt-Out

Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Re: Bilge Opt-Out

Post by ks8 »

Gary,

The *View New Posts* on the Board Index is where they have always shown up. The question is whether they can be hid there, and only show up if one actually goes into the Bilge Section from the Board Index, I think.... :)

That way, no one ever sees even the title of any Bilge post, unless one actively goes into the Bilge section, at which point, any objections to any posts in there have a lot less grounds for *reflecting on Bateau *, in general, since the Bilge really has nothing to do with the boat building and building supplies business. All that said, the Bilge *does* have some minimal guidelines, even as a pub where Bateau members can discuss much more than boat building. :)

Btw, if I may -- I suggest one more simple, and I think *reasonable* guideline. That would be *no posting of complaints that someone else has violated the guidelines*. In *bilge moments*, there may be a violation now and then, but I suspect that only very very rarely is it intended to sabotage the very existence of the bilge section. Posting to point out any and every little violation becomes in itself like gas on a fire. If you think a particular violation is unforgivingly offensive, an email to the webmaster is probably a less escalating type of flagging the post. :)

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Obviously I have a reading comprehension problem :oops:
Gary
GF-16 Completed

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

If you knew how many times, this past year, I read a *do* as a *do not*, or vice versa. Reading has become like measuring to me.... read twice, respond once. :lol: :lol: But its more like read four times first, if it is an important subject that I'm thinking of replying to. A reason I'm no longer on Fatimesk. Especially with a tablet that just *corrected* "Facebook" to "Fatimesk" ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that even a word?! :lol:

No, I don't have problems with traffic signs or lights.... :wink:
Last edited by ks8 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I am still looking but I don't see how (with this forum software) we could limit the scope of "view new posts" without eliminating all new Bilge posts from that list.
And even that would be difficult.
I still do not understand what is offensive in the thread titles. I went back a few weeks and see only titles that are often in newspapers.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv »

the issue isn't the titles per se, it's that we might have clicked on a thread or two and the topics discussed are occasionally extremely politically divisive. It's in the "you can't unread this" category. Then seeing the titles again can be irritating.

I'd argue it's a boat forum, I come here to get away from the real world (or I'd just buy a production boat), I don't need to be reminded of it at every turn. It's out of place and context and there are plenty of other places to discuss that if you are so inclined. also hearing people espouse political ideals that others may disagree with taints the respect that most of have for each other. Other forums I belong to ban any political talk because on the internet it can never go well and it's very nice to not have to filter it out.

Jason

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Good point.
If I want to debate politics, I go to a political forum.
I stay away from the Bilge section because I have strong opinions that at times, will displease each side, right and left.
I prefer to keep silent here.
The ones who participate in that forum seem to enjoy it and I don't want to take their fun away.
I"ll keep looking for a way to hide it.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I'd say Jacques' current setup is the most respectful and least divisive way to do it...so I may be being divisive :doh:.
But if you exclude some posts, someone has to be the bad guy and censor stuff, which is in itself contentious. I come to the site, like bigtalljv and probably most of us, for information, advice, and encouragement. I never go to the Bilge, so I never run into anything that isn't amazingly gentlemanly and helpful, except for the rare meltdown over a reversal in fortune over the build process. If people blow off steam in the Bilge, it's a safety valve so that such things don't find their way into the daily updates, and no one gets their feelings hurt by having their opinions expunged.
Tony

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I really want to make everybody happy and comfortable but sometimes it is not possible, look at this story for example:

http://www.tickld.com/x/christmaspartyin2014

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I found something.
I can't select what appears in the "new posts" link but we do it for a RSS page.
The index page at bateau2.com uses that RSS and the Bilge titles NEVER appear there.
I think that it is a good solution: if you want to see the new posts without the Bilge titles, open this page:
http://bateau2.com/
and you will see the new posts in the list on the left.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

The ones who participate in that forum seem to enjoy it and I don't want to take their fun away.
Thank you Jacques. We usually keep it civil down there and we're all big boys. If you don't want to smell bilge water, just don't open the hatch :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose