Forum issues

Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Forum issues

Post by fallguy1000 »

I have a feeling you are under an attack Jeff.

It is doing the same thing as last weekend dropping log ins.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Forum issues

Post by Jeff »

FallGuy, I have been watching the Forum and have not had any issues. What is happening with you? Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fg1k, phone or laptop?

If phone (on cell not WiFi) it’s likely IP shuffling which creates a problem with phpBB. We are seeing increased WiFi shuffling due to cell providers shortening data session to optimize traffic.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:13 pm Fg1k, phone or laptop?

If phone (on cell not WiFi) it’s likely IP shuffling which creates a problem with phpBB. We are seeing increased WiFi shuffling due to cell providers shortening data session to optimize traffic.
It is probably what you say. All my work is on the phone.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thanks Jaysen!!! I appreciate the support and knowledge you bring to the table!!! We use DreamHost as our Hosting Group (great company) and they sent a notice to all customers on Friday telling us that usage is up 50% primarily due to people working from home!!! Really crazy times guys!!! FallGuy, thank you for your patience!!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

There’s a pile more tech behind this but the simple version...

You phone contacts the tower and says “I need to talk on the net”. The tower says “use this code”. That code gets forwarded with each request. When phpBB see that code AND you’ve logged in from that code (tracked via cookie) PhpBB says “cool... still fg1k. But when that code changes phpBB says “wtf... this code is different. Who the fork is this?” And forces you to reauthenticate.

So why is “the code” changing more now?

Because there are a limited number of codes for each tower. The telco has to account for all the extra people working from wireless devices. To make that possible they shorten the mount of time you can have a code and not use it. If you don’t use your code for say ... 2min they take it back and your phone has to get a new code.

If you connect you phone to local WiFi then tell you phone to only use WiFi for internet, your phone will get “the code” from the WiFi network. Those will typically last a day or more of you aren’t leaving the network. Aka stay home and build a boat ;)

=====

Technobabble... the dhcp lease used past the gdsm/lte/4-5g has a reduced TTL. Renewals are in the sub 5m in most locals. This is causing mass IP match based auth to fail. Providers with proxies or are less susceptible. Use local net over gdsm/lte/3-5g to reduce issue.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:07 pm Thanks Jaysen!!! I appreciate the support and knowledge you bring to the table!!! We use DreamHost as our Hosting Group (great company) and they sent a notice to all customers on Friday telling us that usage is up 50% primarily due to people working from home!!! Really crazy times guys!!! FallGuy, thank you for your patience!!!! Jeff
Just returning the favor. The knowledge on this forum is open to all. I’m just paying back/forward. Y’all helped me build Lil Bit. And soon we all get to laugh as I build Lil Bit More.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:10 pm There’s a pile more tech behind this but the simple version...

You phone contacts the tower and says “I need to talk on the net”. The tower says “use this code”. That code gets forwarded with each request. When phpBB see that code AND you’ve logged in from that code (tracked via cookie) PhpBB says “cool... still fg1k. But when that code changes phpBB says “wtf... this code is different. Who the fork is this?” And forces you to reauthenticate.

So why is “the code” changing more now?

Because there are a limited number of codes for each tower. The telco has to account for all the extra people working from wireless devices. To make that possible they shorten the mount of time you can have a code and not use it. If you don’t use your code for say ... 2min they take it back and your phone has to get a new code.

If you connect you phone to local WiFi then tell you phone to only use WiFi for internet, your phone will get “the code” from the WiFi network. Those will typically last a day or more of you aren’t leaving the network. Aka stay home and build a boat ;)

=====

Technobabble... the dhcp lease used past the gdsm/lte/4-5g has a reduced TTL. Renewals are in the sub 5m in most locals. This is causing mass IP match based auth to fail. Providers with proxies or are less susceptible. Use local net over gdsm/lte/3-5g to reduce issue.

Say what now?

"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That is the correct response.

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 »

I didn't have any problem logging on this morning, using the computer. Last weekend, using the computer, I couldn't log in. Every time I clicked "log in", the screen would return to the blank log-in page. I'd refill the name, password, etc. blanks, and try again. After multiple tries, I gave up on it.