Forum Nightly Maintenance: Oct 26 - Oct 29, 2020

Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Forum Nightly Maintenance: Oct 26 - Oct 29, 2020

Post by Jaysen »

Folk, I spent a bit of time this weekend fighting with the actual upgrades (more on that later). There are some issues with the current phpBB data set that will require nightly maintenance to prepare the DB for migration. Here is the expected timeline and outages. All time are Eastern.

CLOSED -- Monday, Oct 26, 2020
7p Some features will be "wonky" as add on package have code upgrade applied. These will be temporary and the site will be usable
8p Forum will go off line for core software upgrade (full backups exist). A message will be posted to let you know when we expect the forum to be back online. Current expectation is less than 60min

CLOSED -- Tuesday, Oct27, 2020 -- updated 10/27@1818
6p I will start untangling things that are making upgrades impossible. There may be slowdowns as I need to copy files around. There will be swearing. Much much swearing.
CANCELLED 7p Forum off line for 10-15min to allow a non-transactional backup and final clean up. This will be the base line for migration.
9p Look for announcement detailing the new forum/gallery sites

CLOSED -- Wednesday/Thursday Oct 28/29, 2020
7p Non-disruptive backup and data sync for test site.
8p Test site off line for "practice" doing final migration.

Please note that we are NOT migrating the site Oct 30 or the following days. I will be traveling. I will post rules about the test sites and what to expect in the test site announcement.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Last edited by Jaysen on Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Forum Nightly Maintenance: Oct 26 - Oct 29, 2020

Post by Jaysen »

There have been a few hiccups tonight. The ancillary updates are completed. I will be taking full backups now and will continue with the core upgrade at 8p ET
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, I can’t tell you how much we all appreciate the work you are doing on our Forum!!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Tonight's work is completed.

There were several issues that are not easily resolvable. Hopefully we will have more success tomorrow.
Jeff wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:24 pm Jaysen, I can’t tell you how much we all appreciate the work you are doing on our Forum!!!! Jeff
Thank's Jeff. Hopefully we can get you another decade of use out of the systems (with a little more management ;) )

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Thanks Jayson.

Many many years ago I updated our system, about 3 dozen 3.5 disks.... This is not counting the backup disks done before upgrading! I made a mental block of the OS..... I'm sure it was Win OS of some short....

Bob

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Folks, I have "completed" the disruptive work planned for tonight. I'm working to get the shiny new site all nice and pretty. If you all promise to NOT TELL ME WHAT IS BROKEN I will give you all the pre-pre-preview. It is 24hr or so behind. I know things are missing. Let me get caught up with what I know is wrong. I'll let you know when I'm ready to drink from the firehose.

The new site is http://community.boatbuildercentral.com (it will redirect you to the login; It uses the same username/pw as the old forum)
The new gallery is http://community.boatbuildercentral.com/gallery (you have to log into NEW FORUM first and I KNOW THE LINK IS MISSING)

:P :P :P

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

I was still making a list of dead links, but I promise not to tell you about any of them at this time. 8)
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

gstanfield wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:35 pm I was still making a list of dead links, but I promise not to tell you about any of them at this time. 8)
Yeah... I don't need that ruptured aneurysm right now. I've had to reverse engineer the phpBB internals to make up for modules that were not properly installed (nothing like dropping columns from the user tables, running an update, installing a middle module, revising the schema change, forcing the old module out (delete files not run the uninstaller), installing the final model, forcing it out, then installing unofficial php that relies on all those previous schemas and trying to convert it to an entirely new db schema).

NEVER EVER EVER write dynamically generated, random column sql inserts. This is making "noql" and "big table" look simple.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

We have the new forum templates up and ready for review. Not 100% but you can start getting used to them ;)

Http://community.boatbuildercentral.com

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

All migration testing and planning is complete.