CLOSED -- November 2, 2020 @ 9p ET -- Forum/gallery upgrade and migration

Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

CLOSED -- November 2, 2020 @ 9p ET -- Forum/gallery upgrade and migration

Post by Jaysen »

Folks, we have completed the testing and planning of the forum and gallery upgrade and migration process. We will execute the final migration and upgrade at:
9PM ET, Monday, November 2, 2020

The list of changes:
  • All sites moved to community.boatbuildercentral.com
  • All sited upgraded to current security and code levels
  • Forum rebranding and theme upgrade
  • Performance enhancements
  • Additional plugin options (not tapatalk... yet)
There are a number things that will feel "wrong" at first glance. Some of them can not be fixed until after the migration. Others aren't really broken, it just looks that way (ex: like to forum.bateau2.com will still work so I won't fix them or the first couple of days.

What the forum members need to do
NOTHING! Well, that's not true. I need you to be patient Monday evening while we have a couple of hours of downtime. I will open the forum the MINUTE I get it back up and running (normally less than 60min). Once I have it up and running with the proper settings you all can get it and sniff the "new forum smell" while I finish working. If you have issues I will create a separate thread for forum issues.

That's it. If y'all have questions or concerns, this is the time to let me know about them.

And Fuzz, you best not drink all the rum while I'm working!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: November 2, 2020 @ 9p ET -- Forum/gallery upgrade and migration

Post by Jeff »

Great stuff Jaysen!!! Really a great job!!! Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great stuff Jaysen!!! Really a great job!!! Jeff

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Jeff was so thankful he posted twice! :lol:

Thanks for all the hard work!

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I have noticed my attachments are not showing in posts lately, not sure if that is a bug or still a work in progress, but thought I would mention it. Inserted attachments like always now just show a link instead of the image.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

On the old or the new forum?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

No idea. It’s odd that older posts are showing oddly too. I’ve copied permissions from known working forums with no luck. I will have to drag out a laptop and look into this when I have a few free moments later today (traveling).

Add: frustratingly I see the EXACT SAME THING on the new forum too. Forkity forking fork fork.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

I’ve had a couple double posts in the last two days and I definitely didn’t submit twice. I’m not worried though, I’m still using old forum and sometimes it happens.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Quick reminder that we are moving to the new forum this evening (US Eastern evening).
Jaysen wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:18 pm Folks, we have completed the testing and planning of the forum and gallery upgrade and migration process. We will execute the final migration and upgrade at:
9PM ET, Monday, November 2, 2020

The list of changes:
  • All sites moved to community.boatbuildercentral.com
  • All sited upgraded to current security and code levels
  • Forum rebranding and theme upgrade
  • Performance enhancements
  • Additional plugin options (not tapatalk... yet)
There are a number things that will feel "wrong" at first glance. Some of them can not be fixed until after the migration. Others aren't really broken, it just looks that way (ex: like to forum.bateau2.com will still work so I won't fix them or the first couple of days.

What the forum members need to do
NOTHING! Well, that's not true. I need you to be patient Monday evening while we have a couple of hours of downtime. I will open the forum the MINUTE I get it back up and running (normally less than 60min). Once I have it up and running with the proper settings you all can get it and sniff the "new forum smell" while I finish working. If you have issues I will create a separate thread for forum issues.

That's it. If y'all have questions or concerns, this is the time to let me know about them.

And Fuzz, you best not drink all the rum while I'm working!
=========================================================
gstanfield wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:22 am I’ve had a couple double posts in the last two days and I definitely didn’t submit twice. I’m not worried though, I’m still using old forum and sometimes it happens.
This is actually an issue on the "end user side" and not a forum software problem. It is worse on mobile than on desktops. I believe it is related to changes in browser speeds for data submission resulting in unintentional clicks which end up creating double posts. I've options to prevent doubles, but you all will not like how it prevents posting in multiple threads or editing things you just posted. :)
narfi wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:27 pm This forum posted today.

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... 60#p480356
Narfi, I've looked into this a bit. I have no idea what is going on. I see it on both sites so it seems that it must be a setting. Right now I'm monkeying around with the DB so much I'm not sure if this is being created by the sync and migrate scripts or if it is a config issue. Let me get the site moved tonight then I will be able to "just fix it".