Someone's got to say it - I don't like the new website format!

Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Someone's got to say it - I don't like the new website format!

Post by BarraMan »

I am sure that I am not the only one who finds the new website format too small to read easily!

fallguy1000

Re: Someone's got to say it - I don't like the new website format!

Post by fallguy1000 »

I find it a little busier to use than before. Mostly the abbrev banners up top bug me.

But it sure beats tapatalk. Man does that suck. Ad every other post.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I liked the old forum better but I will get used to this one. I am sure some of it is just getting used to the change. If it helps to keep the forum going and saves cost I am all good with it.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I actually like it. Full width on my browser finally.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

I have excellent eyesight and don't require glasses for driving or reading - but I find reading the forum to be hard work now. I think it will fall off my regular read list now!
I have enjoyed this forum for many years and will miss it.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Barraman, are you in mobile or desk/lap top? Can you provide a few specific areas that are particularly bad?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I should like to add, Barraman is right. We are plagued with too small woth mobile devices. I find myself correcting keying werors constantly.

And I am always wondering why shit has to be so small I can't read it in the morning.

To be fair, asking for a comparison without the two screens side by side is a little impossible.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Mobile is a cluster mess in on phoBB right now. It’s next on my list.

The size of things (fonts in particular) is technically not under the control of phpBB as I’ve removed all the size designations for fonts. The tab problem is killing me as well everyone else. I think there’s a bug in the phoBB style system as other sites are struggling with the same mobile issues once “standard customization” is done.

Give me a bit longer and we will have some solution. Not sure what it will be but it will get better.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:19 am Mobile is a cluster mess in on phoBB right now. It’s next on my list.

The size of things (fonts in particular) is technically not under the control of phpBB as I’ve removed all the size designations for fonts. The tab problem is killing me as well everyone else. I think there’s a bug in the phoBB style system as other sites are struggling with the same mobile issues once “standard customization” is done.

Give me a bit longer and we will have some solution. Not sure what it will be but it will get better.
A classy answer my friend.

For semantics, boatdesign.net is another forum I enjoy. Check out their layout. I like it a lot. They don't have new, unanswered, etc. they have recent which is perhaps like active here. What I would do is make a tab that says custom and allow the user to select from custom searches. For example, I never use the new post or unanswered topics unless I miss key. I think Mertens uses the unanswered topics and perhaps a few others.

Anyhow, if you were able to make a custom or special tab that had 6 other search methods when you clicked on it; you could get rid of a bunch.

I only use unread posts and your posts. Otherwise, I miskeyed. So, if you were tracking the use of those other buttons; you are tracking miskeys due to spacings.

So, there are 11 tabs and I use 2 of them daily. The rest almost never.

Kind regards.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I predominately use "new posts", but will occasionally go to "unread posts" if I have time to catch up on some of the threads I missed. I don't use "my posts" or "unanswered topics" or "active topics".

I'm using a Windows based laptop, so it's no big deal if there's lots of buttons, and things are easy for me to read. In most respects I find the new forum format not better or worse, just different. Overall, I like the new website format better than the old one.
Hank