Foam flotation

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
anonymous

Foam flotation

Post by anonymous »

I picked up a boat from a friend last week. He never was able to finish it. I need to find Styrofoam "SM" Extruded Polystrene for flotation. I assume that is needed due to the epoxy eating up regular insulation. Can't find it anywhere. Is there another name for it at the lumber yard or insulation company?

Bill

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh »

Are you familiar with the 2-part marine floatation foam that they sell here?

Jason
Hopefully fishing from my GF18

Charlie
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Charlie »

Marine foam is classified as "closed cell'. It's designed so that it will not soak up water. Most of the insullation you get at a building supply will absorb water which is the kiss of death to a wooden boat.

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Foam flotation

Post by JimW »

Guest wrote:I assume that is needed due to the epoxy eating up regular insulation. Bill
Guess again, Epoxy won't eat up any foam, not even a foam cup.
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19

thegreek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Styrofoam

Post by thegreek »

Hi,
I am building my AR-15 and I am thinking about using foam for extra flotation. I have read a lot of messages from people having problems with the foam and also foam sounds messy!!!
So my question is if I can use blocks of styrofoam, cut them in the right shape and fit them under the sole and under the seats. Does styrofoam absorb water? :?:
Any comments will be welcome.

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

styrofoam will absorb water - if you do not want to get the two part foam mix, you can buy large blocks of closed cell flotation foam at a marine supply outlet and cut your own smaller blocks. Also check the beach after a large storm - sometimes docks break apart and the foam is scattered.

The benefit of two part is an exact fit to the area you wish to fill as the foam expands to fill cracks and voids.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

The USCG approved buoyancy foam is closed cell (will not absorb water), it will not melt from epoxy!, and it is resistant to being "eaten" up by gas/oil (THIS IS IMPORTANT).

As far as the 2 part pour foam being messy, have you got to the sanding part of boat building yet? :D Thats just a joke, but building a boat is messy. You can take steps to making your work cleaner - use the collective experience of all these guys to help you. Check out KS8’s gallery for some good examples of how to work clean

Joel

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. »

I think that water eventually finds its way everywhere. I have seen it get in any crack or crevice that it can. That foam resists for a long time but eventually... It will work its way past that foam too and into any void. Foam is a blessing and a curse.

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

What the boat was originally intended to have for floatation was probably just what you mentioned "extruded" polystrene insulation. That is a building material product sold in sheets and made by Dow or by Owens-Corning. The Dow product is called "stryofoam" and is light blue. The Owens-Corning product is pink and is called "foamular". These are still available but are getting harder to find in the face of cheaper products made from "expanded" polystrene. The expaned stuff will absorb water, the extruded kind will not but both can be dissolved by gasoline. :wink:

Lackofdistinction
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lackofdistinction »

I was Checking out a John Boat a Friend bought at Walmart. 12 Footer Aluminum and t he Seats were not sealed at the bottom or sides so as to let water through but, placed loosly in each compartment was a small block of floatation I assume just enough to float the Boat in case of a Deluge rainstorm. I want Lots of Foam! so as to be able sit in my Boat with motor cooler and all my gear and still be able to float just above the surface! :roll:
"Off Fighting Windmills."