Plan format

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. »

Not tryin to rock the boat, but I saw that another designer was making his plans available in PDF. He just did it in the past 2 months.
I was thinking how easy it would be either way... if one were to want to pirate the plans. I guess PDF would be really easy to distribute via the web.

Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

I'd like to see...

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

A plan serial number on each plan set. Perhaps this would divulge proprietary sales numbers that Jacques would like to keep to himself.

For my web site, I have tried to keep track of Vagabond builders around the world but have to rely on them finding me. I've asked Jacques about keeping a list of VG builders several times.

I think it would be a matter of pride to put a little bronze plaque in my cockpit saying I was Vagabond no. 004. or whatever. with a launch date and builder name. I find I am still logged in as the owner of International 505 #3089. I was once the owner of Vega 707.

Perhaps the number could be part of the HIN. [doubtful]
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/justright/index.htm
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1281
Otter/Lissa
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1197

anonymous

Re: I'd like to see...

Post by anonymous »

Justin Pipkorn wrote:A plan serial number on each plan set. Perhaps this would divulge proprietary sales numbers that Jacques would like to keep to himself.
[doubtful]
Justin when you serialise something the first number is usually 1,000. You could start at 10,000 but when you use a computer you never start at zero because the software doesn't know how to handle that number. :D

Tony
(still not logged in)

Toni V
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Toni V »

I prefer the plan in paper format. Yeah it takes couple days until you get the plans - but building the boat takes much longer.

The paper plan sheets are much bigger than computer screen, it would be difficult to see all the details in smaller computer screen.

And what if your hard drive crashes or things like that.

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. »

Agreed. I don't see how you could do it without having them printed at their intended size.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Now that we discuss paper plans, I have a question.

I would prefer to print most of the drawings on B size paper.
Let me explain.
A size is your regular letter size. (A4 in metric)
B size is twice the A size: 11x17" (A3 in metric, 297 by 420 mm)
C is twice B, D = 2 times C and E = 2D's.

Right now, most of our plans are in D size with some of the details in B size.
That doesn't make sense for small boats. Up to 25', we can show enough detials on B size. Above that, we could have a few D or E size for full views of construction, sail plan etc. but most of the drawings could be on B size.
B size is easy to use in the shop: you can alwasy find a corner where you can open a B size sheet but the large pieces of paper like D and E size are difficult to handle.
How would our builders feel if we began to print most of our plans on B size paper?
I don't plan to scale anything but I would spread the information over several smaller sheets, easier to handle. You would get manyy more sheets.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

maxgsx
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by maxgsx »

Wouldn't be a problem for me

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy »

Well, from personal experience I can say that I have spent far less time trying to find a place to unfold large sheets than trying to find on which sheet the required dimension is written.

Thus, having more, smaller sheets would probably be worse for me. On the other hand, I suppose it would be faster to thumb through the sheets if you didn't have to unfold them to look at them.

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

jeremy wrote:Well, from personal experience I can say that I have spent far less time trying to find a place to unfold large sheets than trying to find on which sheet the required dimension is written.
That is a good point

jmccorison
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jmccorison »

An advantage to a larger number of smaller sheets is that you can more readily combine them into views not provided by a few large sheets. Saves time as well as wear and tear from flipping back and forth.