Moonfish

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
anonymous

Moonfish

Post by anonymous »

Hi

I was dondering if you guys think that 3 months is enough time to complete a moonfish or a ad14. Im a full time student I dont work so in summer is my spare time and I was thinking on taking on the moonfish as a little summer project since I already have a sunfish and enjoy it alot but it is in severe detirioration. Then I saw the AD14-16 and loved the design and I don't know if I am way over my head with this one timewise. I am pretty handy with wood and got the tools but as far as fiberglass goes I dont know anything about it. Reason I liked the ad14 is because it would allow me to sail to nearby puertorrican islands, (Im from Puerto Rico") Culebra and Vieques each is about 20-25 miles from big island. So thats my other question is the ad 14 capable of doing that type of offshore passage?

Thanks in advance guys

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes to sail from PR to La Culebra and Vieques. I know the place and the AD14 is capable of doing that without problems especially if you set sail from Fajardo.
To sail along the north coast in the trade winds can be a little tougher when it blows. The west and south coasts are easier and well within the reach of an AD14.
The question about the time table is almost impossible to answer but if you have all the supplies and tools ready, you should be able to complete an AD14 during your summer break.

PS: please register.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

I had an account, but it says is inactive. Anyways thanks, I do have the tools and yes I did plan to sail from Fajardo.

babu_sneaky
New Poster
New Poster

Post by babu_sneaky »

Ok Jacques its official I got my account. Anyways, I still unsure as to what boat to build for the summer, I'm looking at the ad14 and 16 but the thing is they can only take 2 people right? Theres also the alternative of going for a powerboat like a panga which is easier to make but would end up being more costly because of the engine. Just wondering, do the plans for the trailer come with the boat plans?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

How many you take on board is up to you, just use common sense.

No trailer plans: the sum of the parts cost more than a store bought trailer.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

babu_sneaky
New Poster
New Poster

Post by babu_sneaky »

I did the math with my local wood dealer, and I can only afford to build as big as a corsair 13 or AR. The good part is that I for sure can build either one in summer break fast and still have time to sail. Or a moonfish of course.

So I was wondering how does the performance of the corsair compare to the AR? And the costs in fiberglass are much greater? in epoxy I see its about the same right, so it should be about the same.

Thanks for your support Jacques

babu_sneaky
New Poster
New Poster

Post by babu_sneaky »

ahh! sorry forgot to ask... does the otter sail well? because I might want to do some fishing and the otter looks more adequate.

Thanks again

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

Do a forum search for author Incc63 for some good details on the Corsair.
CC, D15, V10

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy »

The otter is a row boat first. The sail is there for when you get tired of rowing - it'll move the boat, but won't be particularly performant. The AR15 and corsair 13 are real sail boats.

sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sds »

I have OT16 plans, not the others.

If the OP wants to build a boat over summer break, the otter would be a much quicker/easier build.

Completely different program than the others, for sure.

Scott