Bass boat choice

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Bass boat choice

Post by MarkOrge »

OK, first of all thanks to the Bateau2 team for great support.

After looking through all the info available, it would appear the PH18 is what I would want for a Bass Boat to hang my 115 off of, and it would have plenty of space for 7' + rod locker, great deck area, etc. I am aware that in heavy chop/rough water I am going to get banged around, but this is OK as a trade off for a light/fast boat with a wide deck surface to fish off of. I also love the look of the flat deck

My dumb question of the month comes in cornering - will she corner like a flat bottom inflatable and "slide" around corners? I do not fish the "flats" but I am inland with tight channels I like to whip through ("Thirty Thousand Islands" east side of Georgian Bay and the Trent/Severn/Kawartha's, Ontario, Canada) The only difference is that if I miss a turn I hit rock, not sand.

I was asking about a pad but my research tells me with a low deadrise angle hull a pad may not do much. Should I go to another design and sacrifice top end or can we modify the PH18 a little to corner/bite little better? Some of the pictures I have looked at seem to show a hull very similiar that can respond well and all they look like having over the PH18 are strakes.

If it matters: the hull and deck will all be foam or Nida cored, vacuum bagged where it makes sense, top quality materials all the way. Evinride Ficht (2004) 115 @ 368 pounds, 8" hydraulic jack plate (63 pounds) 30 gallon in floor fuel tank, Minn Kota Maxum 70 pd trolling motor with two 30 pound batteries up front, double console (likely to add say 20 pounds) about 20 pounds of tackle and another 20 of electronics, plus odds & ends? If I am in a tournament and the live well is full that is going to add another 250 pounds at least.

PS: Bassmun's PH16 is quite an inspiration eh?

Mark
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Bass boat choice

Post by TomW »

The PH18 and the 115 will be a great boat for you. With it's width and length it should handle the weight your looking at without a problem.

Since your not a flats fisherman looking to be in 7" water very often look at what water you will be in. If your skinny water is 10" think about adding a 1x1 inch skeg to the keel. If your going to be in shallower water you can add 4 1x1" strakes running the length of the boat to help hold on turns. Or you can do both for real control. And watch out for those rocks. :lol: In all seriousness take a look at the draft of the PH18 vs some of commercial bass boats like the Nitro, etc.

Man I envy you Georgian Bay is beautiful I fished it in the early/mid-70's and caught the biggest pike I ever have up there. Lost a musky that I swear was as long as the boat was wide he just took off and kept going. 8O We were only in a 14' boat though so maybe 55" :lol:

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Thanks Tom. Yes we are definately lucky and head up the #400 from May long weekend through September every chance we get. We also have lots of other lakes northeast of here (the "Kawartha's) that we are on for tournements throughout the season. My personal best Musky was last year, about 1/2 way between Honey Harbour and Parry Sound = 50" X 26", putting her at about 42 pounds. Damn near pulled me off the rear deck and into the water. When she hit, my wife was about 200 feet away in the tent and thought the splash was me falling in....

Sorry, back to boat design....

Concerning the factory bass boats - I have looked at them - they definately have more deadrise but are also heavier. Skinny water is not really a concern, I just like the design and look of the Phantom and especially the lightweight which would get me more speed then a deep vee (I assume)

I have seen this debate on the forum elsehwere and it seems the alternitive is the OB19 or Mangusta and just lower the sides - how does one make that choice? Anyone? Can we still get an 800 pound boat that will go over 60 MPH with a 115? Of course I would keep the flat top deck with the double console.

If one of these others is the way to go I may need to alter my Christmas list....

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

I don't recall ever seeing comments from Phantom builders about excessive side slip in turns. Like Tom said, some strakes on the bottom will make a big difference. It certainly won't slide like an inflatable, primarily because the hull has a hard chine that has enough bite to prevent a lot of slip by itself. Add some strakes and a low skeg and add up the lateral area of them. You'll have the effect of a 3" keel without 3" more draft.
CC, D15, V10

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Mark your best bet with your 115 is the PH18. Ran some quick speed calcs with a 1000 pound load(1800lbs overall) and it gave you the best speed with that power. You won't reach 60 but you'll definately be over 50. The lower you can keep the weight the faster you'll go of course. The Mangusta with her deep-V hull really needs the 250HP listed and the OB with her moderate-V only reaches the 40's.

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Post by Guest »

This is great news, thanks Guys. I am glad to hear this because I really like the style and look of the Phantoms.

I'll be sure to post the project as soon as I get started, hopefully late November at the latest.

Thanks again !!

Mark

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Thanks Guys, this is what I wanted to hear, I really like the looks of the Phantoms.

I'll post once started, hopefully no later then November...

Cheers, thanks again,

Mark

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

the phantom is not a speed boat. It is light and has a low deadrise which allows for low draft and smaller engine to attain speed.

If you want to go really fast, you should choose a design that give priority to going fast. With the amount of power you are want to put on her, the PH18 will slide in tight turns, there is no way around it. Runners, chine flats, skeg, etc will all help, but since the draft is not of great concern to you I would be looking at the MG20 with modified decks for fishing

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Joel the reason he is looking at the PH18 is that he has a 115 that he wants to use. He would need a 165 or 175 on a cut down Mangusta for the same speed. He realizes he will have to slow down on sharp curves but on normal curves and all he should with the additions sit pretty solid. He'll just have to get used to the boat and like all boats get used to it's idiocincroys.

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I undetstand, but I would not build a boat like that.

Compromising most everything else just because I had the wrong engine for the right boat