Freighter Canoe

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: New design - Freighter Canoe

Post by D2Maine »

if you want to build this strip, check gil gilpatrick he wrote the "book" on strip canoes....

frazoo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by frazoo »

Since you started this thread I've been looking thru my past issues of WB. Last year I read an article somewhere about the freighter canoes of yesteryear from away up north. They definately played a role in that areas recent history. The article was about an older guy and gal who bought an older, beat up canoe for about $150.00 and went on some kinda canoe trip "walkabout" thru the northern rivers and such. It is an interesting design and my hats off to the couple in the article for the serious miles they traveled in the canoe.

frazoo
... use a bigger hammer.
Built and Using; V12, Cheap Canoe, Modified Honker 14
Strip Canoe (failed)
V12 and Honker Gone to Boat Heaven= Don't build with cheap ply

Boomer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boomer »

Seems to me the undecked hull of the FS18 (Flats Stalker) would produce essentially the same boat.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Boomer wrote:Seems to me the undecked hull of the FS18 (Flats Stalker) would produce essentially the same boat.
gstanfield wrote:After thinking about it I could see the FS18 as being a first cousin to this boat
I agree, they are very much alike and it sheds a new light on the FS18 that I never thought of before starting this thread. The only real difference (besides a couple of feet) is the more tradittional lines of the canoe and the actual v-hull of the FS. They are very alike in terms of displacement and potential programs though. Enough so that it has me thinking of building a FS18 without any decks. The only downside to the FS is the need for the frames so you couldn't quite have the all open cockpit of the canoe. It might be close enough to think about though :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Boomer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boomer »

gstanfield wrote:
Boomer wrote:Seems to me the undecked hull of the FS18 (Flats Stalker) would produce essentially the same boat.
gstanfield wrote:After thinking about it I could see the FS18 as being a first cousin to this boat
The only real difference (besides a couple of feet) is the more tradittional lines of the canoe and the actual v-hull of the FS. :D

The designer (Jacques) says you can expand any plan 10%, if the length thing is critical. I'm just thinking out loud her, but if I (or you) did that, I might move up one size in the plywood in the bottom of the hull.

Tim Marchetti
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Tim Marchetti »

hello
I thought I would jump in, since the boat in quetion is my design. The 20ft freighter canoe has a beam of 53", transom width of 43" and a capacity of 2500lbs. She is very stable and a 9.9hp can push her along all day using very little gas. The boat was launched last Thursday and the owners/builders say she surpasses thier expectations.
The FS18 is a great design, but actually very different. The FS18 seems to be a planing hull, while the freighter canoe is a displacement hull.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The FS18 is the complete opposite of a freighter canoe.
I would not try to morph an FS18 into that shape, it's like discussing how best to tow an heavy trailer with a Ferrari.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Jaques, I should've stuck to my original though then that it would be a new design instead of getting talked into thinking they were the almost the same :wink:

And Tim, don't take my comments wrong. I like your design a lot, I'd just love to see a stitch and glue version for ease of building and lower cost. :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

That freighter canoe looks like it would want/try to plane.

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy »

After seeing Tim's boat I feel like I have to add that to my list of "boats I would like to own if I could have one of each kind that appeals to me." :D
Daddy