Freighter Canoe

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Freighter Canoe

Post by gstanfield »

I have recently found myself intrigued by a design that the designer refers to as a freighter canoe. It's a 20ft long canoe type boat that is scaled up in every direction from a regular canoe. The bottom is wide open for carrying stuff and it just looks like a fun boat to own. I wonder if there would be any interest in a simpler version of this boat instead of having to build it in wood strips. I know I would like one, just curious what other people think. Here's a couple of pics of the one I was looking at.

The inside and out are covered with I think 10oz glass with epoxy and then the inside was coated with two layers of spray in truck bedliner material to give the cargo a nice durable surface to sit on.

Anyway, I love the designs around here and know JM is busy with the power cat, smaller inboard diesel, TW34, and motorsailer so why not add to our wish list in case he gets bored :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: New design - Freighter Canoe

Post by chicagoross »

There are S&G versions from another big designer out there now, keep looking George! For the kind of cruising you have described enjoying, and being able to take your family, this could be a fun addition to your personal fleet! Good for training your crew to paddle... :D Besides, it's not too long til you'll be snowed in again and will need something to do between shoveling and icefishing...

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

gstanfield wrote:I have recently found myself intrigued by a design that the designer refers to as a freighter canoe...

Anyway, I love the design.. :D
George, you do know that the inland canal systems were very short lived and the hope that they will come back are slim? :wink:

I think it is a really cool look, too. Not sure there is a 'slot' for this kind of boat now-a-days. Can't stop looking at it, though. :doh:

Thanks for posting it. :)

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

I realize that it may not be the most practical deisgn ever, but at the same time it's neat and would be a fun boat. After thinking about it I could see the FS18 as being a first cousin to this boat, just not quite the same. I do think it would be neat for taking upriver for hunting and then carry 800lbs of elk back down river to the truck when the hunt is over :D It would also be a neat boat for playing around in the ICW and tidal marshes when I get back to the coast.

Basically though I like the look and design and think it would be a fun addition 8)

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

gstanfield wrote:...Basically though I like the look and design and think it would be a fun addition 8)
Exactly what I was thinking. There is always a break where you have to jump the HP on any motor power design. I think that is why there are so many 18' and 17' boat designs. 20' often puts it just over the HP limits. Just my thought.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

We already have a similar boat in Swift Canoe 17, George. Very similar purpose for it. :D
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Swamp Skiff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Swamp Skiff »

I know that a bunch of the back country campers that like to go to the Everglades would probably enjoy something like that.

Swamp
Swamp

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

TomW wrote:We already have a similar boat in Swift Canoe 17, George. Very similar purpose for it. :D
Similar, yes, but this thing is a LOT larger than the SC16 :D . Here's a better pic for size reference. The SC is a nice little square back canoe, this thing is more of a canoe style with the displacement of an OD18 :wink: (maybe exaggerated a bit)

Not quite in the same category as this:

If you took the SC16 and scaled it by about 20% in every direction it would be a simliar boat. It's all purely academic right now anyway as I have to finish my driftboat before I start on anything else anyway. I just like looking at different designs and getting new ideas :D

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

gstanfield wrote:Not quite in the same category as this:
Agreed. :wink:

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Which is not to say the SC16 is bad at all, just different in the way a Ford Ranger is different from an F-450 :D

George 8)