Poplar plywood?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Sinupe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Poplar plywood?

Post by Sinupe »

Hi everyone,

I'm from Portugal and I've decided to build a boat but am struggling to find marina grade plywood (BS1088).

I'm waiting for a few quotes from Joubert and Laminar (both Loyds certified Okoume) dealers but I've come across a different and apparentelly new kind of marine plywood.

The manufacturer is Garnica (the leading european manufacturer of caravan plywood), from Italy, and they state that their Marine Poplarply range of plywoods is fully suited for "boat fittings and furniture".

Here are the specs:

> Face: Poplar
> Cores: Poplar
> Glue: WBP Phenolic - UNE EN 314 Exterior (Class 3)
> Module elasticity: 2016 N/mm2
> Flexibility resistance: 29.9 N/mm2
> Humidity: 6-14% - UNE EN 322:93
> Density: 435 K/m3
> Sheet size: 2520x1850x(10/12/15) mm
> Price (discounts still to be negotiated but 5-10% is expectable):
......10mm - 45,45Euro
......12mm - 53,85Euro
......15mm - 65,00Euro

I don't have information (yet) about core gaps but face grade looks to be A/B.

I normally wouldn't be asking these questions but seing as this is a new product, a green one at that (only manufacturer with a an eco friendly glueing process and non tropical wood) AND it's 10% lighter than Okoume AND less than 50% cheaper....

Considering these specs, if core gaps are down to minimal values, would it be suited for the hull of a VG23?

Has anyone worked with this plywoodand this manufacturer?

Thanks in advance for your patience and time!

Manufacturer site: http://www.garnicaplywood.com/productos ... d_idioma=2

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Poplar plywood?

Post by jacquesmm »

We tested several brands of poplar plywood from Europe.
As they say, it is appropriate for the inside of the boat, cabinets etc. but not for the hull, not for any part exposed to the elements.

PS: the plywood used in the "Stitch and Glue 101" tutorial is poplar. That was one for our test boats.
The bottom split after 2 or 3 years.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Sinupe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Sinupe »

Thank you for the prompt reply. I suspected as much :/

Do you have any other portuguese costumers that might point me to suppliers?

Do you ship the ply kits to Lisbon (Portugal)? If so, can you please quote the shiping costs for the VG23 Ply kit?

Again, thank you!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

We have many builders in Portugal but we don;t keep a list, sorry.
Let's hope one of them read this.

You can use a gas engine but I am 100% opposed to it for safety reasons.

Yes, can combine the front windshields in one or change the shape of the front itself.

Shipping cost: a lot, very expensive.
We have shipped kits to Europe but mostly to builders who had "free shipping" through their business.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Sinupe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Sinupe »

Excellent news: I've found a portuguese manufacturer that makes BS1088 100% Okoume plywood!

LaminarPly Marine BS1088 Okoume (by Laminar):
2500x1220x10mm= 60,65 Euro+VAT
2500x1220x12mm= 70,71 Euro+VAT
2500x1220x15mm= 84,54 Euro+VAT
I believe it's possible to get up to 15% discount over these prices, depending on the quantity to order.

If you think it usefull and seing that shipment from the US is extremely expensive, once I get the supplier list complete, I can make a new thread with all the details so that the next portuguese/spannish fella doesn't run into so many hurdles.

In fact, this might be a good idea for other countries, judging by the difficulty some boat builders have shown in these foruns.

Resin and glass suppliers next :)

PS: I believe some of the text you in your reply was a mistake as I haven't mentioned windshields or engines (yet) :)

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Way to go Sinupe, the first big step is finding the wood. Finding the epoxy and fiberglass is usually a little easier. West Systems have a very good network in Europe. People it England and Italy have used it. Just put up a post in the Fiberglass section asking for help in looking for supplies. Many European builders should be able to point you to vendors. If not go to West Epoxy web site and find there European site and try to contact them.

Good luck on your VG23 build I'd love to follow it on the Builders Forum forum with pictures. My wife loves to sail. So as soon as I get my fishing boat I may have to build her a sailing boat. :D

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Sinupe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Sinupe »

Thank you Tom :)

Currently, we're just looking for suppliers and assessing costs.

In fact, we plan to build a smaller boat (RB1x) and then, if we're satisified with the end product, graduate to a trailerable like the VG23.

I'm not really attracted to powerboats but my partner in this while deal is quite fond and has always owned them, thus the RB choice since we already have an outboard to test it. We're hoping to sell it and recover some of the investment.

Another issue that's bothering me is that, apparently, we'll actually need a "building license" and it seems we can't sell the boat for 5 years. To be able to put the boat on the market earlier requires a different sort of license that's a lot harder to obtain.

I'll keep you posted!

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Don't know what size engine you have but maybe use the smaller boat for a couple of years to enjoy and save money to build the VG23 and then use it as a tender for the VG23. Having spent a lot of time in the Med I know a lot of boats need to anchor out and use small boats to reach the anchorages. Never got to Portugal, but was in Spain, France, Italy and Greece.

Good Luck againg and keep us posted. Take a look at the GV11, FS12, etc. for small engines.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Sinupe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Sinupe »

Can't remember but it's either a 40 or 60HP.

To be honest, for the small power boat, the design that I like most is the Bullet 11" by another designer but I do appreciate the way Jacques handles this site.

In any case, epoxy seem to be a serious problem cost-wise in Portugal. Apparently there's a single (and very small) West distributor, located in Algarve.

I'm hoping other portuguese builders show up and read this thread and can give me a hand with materials/suppliers and legalities.

Kadubbs
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Kadubbs »

Hi Sineup,

I found this post whilst searching for marine plywood in Portugal, so thought I'd join the forum to ask you about suppliers..

I contacted Laminar, but they said they don't produce any okoume marine plywood (anymore I guess).

Could you please recommend a suppliers if you know of any?

Thanks very much!