LB26

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
wej
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

LB26

Post by wej »

On the study plans of the LB26 it mentions "cedar strip core composite" is there more reading or another boat built that way that I can study a little.

Been comparing the CX25 & the LB26 and may end up ordering LB plans also to compare the pros & cons of each, as I already have the CX25 plans.

Thanks, EJ

sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: LB26

Post by sds »

The MI12 - round chine version uses strip construction for the sides. Check out the study plans.

Strip building is a common technique. There are books about building small craft. Advantages: 1) core material that is relatively cheap and available. 2) you can make some nice, smooth curves and compound shapes that are difficult/impossible with plywood. Drawbacks: 1) requires a more complicated, involved mold than with stitch-n-glue. 2) more painstaking build method.

Not a bateau design, but Aripeka Angler is documenting a strip built canoe down in the 'builders small boats' section.

wej
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by wej »

So the strip cedar is the same as on AA's canoe?

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine »

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Sheathed strip: You are using narrow (relative to the size of the boat) strip of wood/foam to make a complex shape. The wood or foam is a core, you then glass both sides to make a you composite sandwich hull.

Jacques put together a tutorial on this build method.....

http://www.bateau2.com/howto/what_is_sheated_strip.php

wej
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by wej »

Thank you Joel!!!

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

There are TONS of strip built boats out there, including some LARGE sportfishers in that method.

Not as light, but definitely more cost effective than foam core, though you can plan on a lower resale value.

E

Barkariol

Post by Barkariol »

Hallo everybody!
I have a couple questions before purchasing plan for LB26 and I hope somebody will answer them.
I am interested in building LB26 in mahogany / plywood combination. Later on I would protect hull with epoxy resin from outside only. Is it possible to order such plans?
Where I can find tutorial for plywood core composite building method?
Thanks!

Denis

P.S. Apologies for my bad English

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

It will also take you a lot more time using the strip built system vs. the stich & glue for the CS/CX 25 and with no real benefit. The LB 26 is designed for either system and the strip foam system will take more time than the S&G ply system. It's the nature of the beast. Foam strip needs more fiberglass and epoxy, wood strip also needs a little more fiberglass but not as much as foam.
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

wej
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by wej »

Resale is not an issue, and build time really isn't either, as with a 2 year old and another on the way, MOST days 30 minutes to an hour is all I can expect prob enough time to go make a few strips, fill some voids, etc.

This method would be better suited to my skills, time available, and cash flow. I have time to study it since my shop isn't even built yet. I guess blabbing about it on here helps me not get so ancy(sp?)

My local yard keeps a good supply of clear cedar up to 16' too!