XF20 or OD18 Mods

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Randy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: XF20 or OD18 Mods

Post by Randy »

Paul,'
Some how you misunderstood my post.
I am not asking for a dual hull, cat, or race boat.
I was suggesting that an OD type boat, Flat bottom, with a pointed bow and angled chine, in the 21 to 23 foot range would be a great boat for the type of fishing done on the Texas coast.
The tunnel option I was referring to was a tunnel similar to what is on the XF20. Some people think you just have to have a tunnel on a bay boat, not me.

The issue is that an 18 foot boat is limited on room, and a lot of people like to fish with 4 or five people in the boat.
I think that is why the 21' and 23' boats are so popular down here.

A boat that size that would run with much lower HP than the production boats would be interesting to a number of people.

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Randy, you're right what I was talking about is a general question that Clinkster brought up and something I had been wondering about. There are actually two general questions in this thread, kinda confusing.

It seems to me that a Phantom 22 is kinda what you're looking for. I think Joel built one. :D

Clinkster

Post by Clinkster »

Nate,

You pegged exactly what I'm looking for. At times here, you need a craft that can take the extreme chop or rough water but still have the ability to run shallow. Anyone tried crossing Aransas Bay in the winter trying to get to the flats? There is a large market for boats that have these abilities and few manufactures here in TX are: El Pescador, Shoalwater, Haynie, JH Performance, Southshore, Marshall.........Google it.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

A flat bottom 21' to 23' boat, similar to the OD18. Its certainly possible, but a PH22 could be built with the same amount of effort and it will feel a lot better in a chop, draft would be about the same too (unless you build a very wide and flat boat like the XF20)

Clinikster

Post by Clinikster »

Nate,

Take a look at this.

http://harrisonboatworks.com/skiffs.html

Clinkster

Randy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Randy »

I was also thinking in terms of HP requirements hence a flatbottom boat.

Also a 21 or 23 foot dory would have better offshore capabilities than the PH22, right, wrong?

Nate Hoyt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Nate Hoyt »

Randy,

I like flat bottoms also the same reasons. A dory is a very versatile hull. It can take nasty seas and it can float very shallow. I believe you are correct that it is the closest thing to a flats boat that can play offshore. If built as designed, I believe it would have more offshore capability than the PH22. However, once you make it so that it fishes comfortable in <1' of water, I think you will severely limit true offshore capability due to sheer reduction alone. You could run out to the jetties on nice days, but you have no business running out to the rigs in such a boat. That high sheer is a necessary for the big water capability, but it will let the wind beat you up every time you turn off the big engine inshore. If you only anchor and drown live bait, you could retain the sheer, but then it is no longer a flats boat.

An "OD22" with a garbage can of builder options would be cool to see. They could make an "OD22" that could handle a tunnel, but this would be a redesign, not a quick side project. In the end, a low sheer "OD22" ends up being equivalent to a PH22. As such, they have to make sure they'd get their money back. When they already offer a hull that does the job very well, it becomes really unlikely.

I have a question. Can the PH22 be made with a tunnel with a reasonable performance expectation?

Nate