2 guys and 10hp, which boat?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

2 guys and 10hp, which boat?

Post by gstanfield »

I know this has been discussed before, but for some reason I'm just not wording things right to get much luck on the search tonight. Always one to plan far ahead I'm thinking of a future build, maybe this fall or over this coming winter (splash spring 2012) I'll be buying the plans in the next few weeks though so I can go ahead and start dreaming. :lol:

Anyway, I was given a 10hp Evinrude Sportwin and want/need to build a boat that it will work fine with. I figure something for the days when I'm solo (70% of the time) or when it's just two of us fishing (30%). It would need to be capable of planing with 500lbs of humans/gear/beer on board plus the 60lbs or so for the outboard. It needs to be a planing hull of course as I already have the FL14 for going slow :lol: Since I will be using it solo most of the time I want to be able to go as fast as possible on those days, we'll make do on the days there's two of us.

So I'm thinking there's a huge list of possible boats, FS12/14, GV11/13, GF12/14, FS18(maybe?) Any I'm missing?

Which one would you suggest and why? The study plans show the FS14 to be faster than the FS12 with the same motor, I find that confusing :doh:
Last edited by gstanfield on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: 2 guys and 10hp, which boat?

Post by Dog Fish »

George, build the FS-18, long narrow and will go ok with that 10 hp , won't be a speed boat, but a great fishing platform. You could always power up down the road.

Brian.........that's my view. :)

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

The study plans show the FS14 to be faster than the FS12 with the same motor, I find that confusing
The longer water line and more planeing surface for not much more weight is probaly why, just a guess on my
part.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

It would need to be capable of planing with 500lbs of humans/gear/beer on board plus the 80lbs or so for the outboard.
There really aren't many hulls that will plane at that weight with 10 hp. Not even a light aluminum jon boat. Just barely. A flat bottom boat will plane easier than a V. I think a GF 12 might be the best bet. The GF12 I built for a neighbor will plane just barely with 2 large adults plus gear with an old Mariner 8.8 and probably the wrong prop, but it just barely planes. The GV11 would probably be the only other one that will plane with that load and HP. You are pushing the envelope either way.
George, build the FS-18, long narrow and will go ok with that 10 hp , won't be a speed boat, but a great fishing platform.
I agree there, it will go OK, but I don't think it will plane with that load. I could be wrong.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

That's kinda what I figure Larry. The 500lb number I kinda just pulled from thin air assuming I had a huge cooler of beer and a heavy friend. I'm about 185-190 and my fishing gear probably weighs in a total of 20lbs so most of the time it'll be the hull, motor, 5 gallons of fuel and 200lbs of other.

I just want to use this old motor mainly. Maybe I'll build myself a GF12 or GV10 and call it my solo boat :wink:

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

George,

Don't forget the swift canoe 16 as well. It's really similar to ghoenoes (if that's how you spell it :doh: ). My old duck hunting ghoenoe would plan 2 adults (but I only weigh about 160lbs and the heaviest of my buddies was about 190lbs) our dog (roughly 60 lbs) and our gear with a 9.9hp motor. So it's a definite possibilty as well.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Will, the SC16 was my first thought actually, but then I saw it listed as 6hp max and figured I might be pushing the envelope with a 60lb 10hp motor.

Then again, I do ride a 400lb bike with 140hp and a small nitrous bottle that adds 35hp more when it's just not fast enough :lol:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

The FS12 would be a minimal planing hull at that weight too, but it would have less usable space than a garvey style. A garvey gives a lot more usable space in a small boat. The D15 might also plane with that load, GK can help us out with that. It's a nice boat with some space in it.
George, build the FS-18, long narrow and will go ok with that 10 hp , won't be a speed boat, but a great fishing platform.
I agree there, it will go OK, but I don't think it will plane at that weight. I could be wrong. Heck, I hope I'm wrong. It would be sweet if my FS18 will plane with 10hp and a 500 lb. load :D I'm skeptical.
Last edited by Cracker Larry on Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Steven

Post by Steven »

I 'think' the GV11 would work ok. Can't beat the stability. I really like mine, but I have a 15. I can run my family of 5 with no problems.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Steven, do you have any pics of it or a build thread?