What about that camp cruiser?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

What about that camp cruiser?

Post by jbo_c »

Was just looking through old posts about the camp curiser that might (or might not) have been loosely based on a Chapelle design. :D

That was back in '08. I think I've been patient enough to at least ask if this is still on the drawing board.

My wife and I were out on the lake yesterday and she asked when I was going to build our little displacment cruiser and I told her not until there was a Bateau design that fit the bill. But I reminded her there used to be one on the drawing board and it might be coming up soon. (possibly a pipe dream).

If it isn't still on the "board", I'm considering building a CK17 without the sailing accoutrements and a really big dodger(?). Is that the right word? - a canvas(actually waterproof nylon)tent top that can be removed for day trips.

Seriously. Is there still a displacement cruiser in the works? Seems even more appropriate now as gas is closer to $4.00 a gallon than it was three and a half years ago.

"Strike while the iron is hot!" is what they say.

Jbo

frazoo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: What about that camp cruiser?

Post by frazoo »

x2 on a camping cruiser/pocket cruiser. Thought about buying the s&g plans for Redwing, but when this discussion originally started here a few years ago decided to wait and see what JM came up with. If it looks as good as the 18' Redwing, I'd buy the plans right now. This would be an excellent choice for around the Chesapeake Bay and other similar waters.

frazoo
... use a bigger hammer.
Built and Using; V12, Cheap Canoe, Modified Honker 14
Strip Canoe (failed)
V12 and Honker Gone to Boat Heaven= Don't build with cheap ply

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

MM21?

E

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine »

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

If I recall from a couple years back, HMD 18/19 was too big? I've enjoyed mine, but now building one step bigger (for the hell of it more than any disatisfaction with the HMD).

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Correct. HMD is nice, but a figurative monster compared to what was being discussed.

Redwing also figured prominently in the discussion. Have had the opportunity to discuss with an owner who mentioned a couple of design/engineering flaws that have completely ruled this design out for me. Still a gorgeous boat to me and pretty much exactly what I'm looking for functionally.

Jbo

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I did not forget but was stuck with the tunnel boat design for almost a year.
Right now I ma working on a 21-22' catamaran.
We are also testing the building of the SUP (Stand Up Paddle board).
I may go back to that camp cruiser after those two, it is an easy design.

I started on a hull based on the Chapelle Waterman and I could finish it quickly.

What is the problem with the Redwing? It is 99% like the Chapelle design and I don't see any flaws unless the owner expected higher speed.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

The Redwing also has the option of S&G or ply on frame so you can build as you like. :wink:

Then again the CK17 hull could be easily modified into a similar arrangement to the redwing 18 8)
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

FloatingTurtle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FloatingTurtle »

Nice design this redwing - I like the little cabin.

As you say the CK17 would be a good starting point. I wonder what speed and fuel economy can be expected on the CK17 with a 5 or 6 HP motor? On the other hand I also like to possibility to sail the CK17. Would it be possible to add the little cabin and retain the possibility of sailing it? I also have the plans for this one :wink:
Jean, the Floating Turtle

Built: Prameke PK78
Other plans owned (and future projects): Cat Ketch CK17, Mini Maia MM21 and E-Cat EC24.

My PK78 gallery: http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1159

frazoo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by frazoo »

jacquesmm wrote:What is the problem with the Redwing? It is 99% like the Chapelle design and I don't see any flaws unless the owner expected higher speed.
I looked at some owner/builders comments on other boards regarding Redwing 18 from back around 2007-'08 and found the following.

Skeg gets in way of outboard turning
motorwell (box) needed modification from plans
"squats" at stern on taking off (weight distribution and a 15 hp outboard?)

All mentioned items were easily fixed, according to the owner/builder.

jbo_c, if you have other info, I'd really be interested, I am leaning hard in this direction and you may be able to help me out with the decision.
gstanfield wrote:Then again the CK17 hull could be easily modified into a similar arrangement to the redwing 18
Thought about that one George, but I don't have the plans for the CK17 to compare it to. Looking at the sketch of Chappelle's waterman, take the cuddy off it and it looks kinda like a fs17? FS17 has more beam (and volume?) than CK17 if I looked at the study plans right. I'd rather modify a JM design (depending on amount of mods needed to make an existing plan work) than go with an unknown. Looking at the BOM on the Redwing study plans I purchased (damn, I had to PURCHASE them :roll: ), It really looks heavy on plywood use (2 layers 1/2" on bottom). I've posted some questions to the designer of Redwing 18 and will let you know what he says with regard to past problems with that design.

I liked modifying the Honker, but don't know if modifying something to fit that bill would be practicle.

frazoo
... use a bigger hammer.
Built and Using; V12, Cheap Canoe, Modified Honker 14
Strip Canoe (failed)
V12 and Honker Gone to Boat Heaven= Don't build with cheap ply