Hickman Sled 18 Bonus plans

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
burton.lewis5
New Poster
New Poster

Hickman Sled 18 Bonus plans

Post by burton.lewis5 »

I am trying to find someone who has completed a boat using the bonus plans included with the TX18 model. I am also interested in any information about boats built with Jackson's original 50's era plans. I have been reading threads in boatdesign.net. I have read about the possibility of cavitation problems brought on by the aireated water at the transom. I have read about hydrolic jack plates used to compensate and allow the prop to reach solid water. I have read about hull modifications that allow air into the inverted v reducing the suction by venting the tunnel and allowing the water to drop out of the v. I have read about surface piercing props, though I am unclear what their function would be. I have read about the addition of trim tabs to reduce porpoising. Can anyone direct me to information about a completed Bill Jackson 50's model sled? Does anyone know how the H.S. 18 bonus plans included in the TX18 Bateau boat accomodate known issues of the inverted v hull? I hope I don't aggravate anyone with my lack of experience, and I appreciate your patience with my curiosity.

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Hickman Sled 18 Bonus plans

Post by Prarie Dog »

Don't have any answers to most of your questions, however Davidtx built a TX18 and had it at the builders meet in Port O Conner, Texas last summer. If the link works here's a video of it underway. He has a jackplate on the boat and I think it will porpise if the motor isn't trimmed under most of the way. Runs about 40 and he was still working on the prop the last time we talked. A link to his video is on page 81 of the Texas Builders Meet, tried to post the link and couldn't make it work. :doh:

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine »

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Thanks D2. :)

burton.lewis5
New Poster
New Poster

Post by burton.lewis5 »

Thanks for the information folks. :)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Let's keep in mind that the original design was by Hickman not Jackson.
Aeration problems are solved by proper engine height and trim and yes, a jack plate helps a lot.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

burton.lewis5
New Poster
New Poster

Post by burton.lewis5 »

Thank you Mr. Mertens. Do you know anyone that has used the bonus plans to build a Hickman style sled? Did you modify Jackson's plans from the 50's, or are these the same ones published back then? I like the TX 18, but I need the higher freeboard to put my family in. I have no need for the shallow draft capabilities of the Texas Sled. I am looking for a boat to put on Tennessee Valley Authority impoundments. TVA lakes are deep water protected by mountains that rarely raise a whitecap. I want to use a 40 h.p. to push a fishing boat that can be used to pull an occasional skier. The Hickman Sled stlye hull was recommended on a boat design forum for stability and on-board space. Once again, thank you for your patience.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I designed the "bonus plans" almost 10 years before the TX18. It was a 21' hull. Gave the unfinished drawings to a Hickman's sled enthusiast and he built a 23' version. He had a web site about the boat but I can't find it anymore.
He was very happy with the boat and intended to build a 28' version.

The bottom of the Hickman Sled version (bonus plans) is named HS in my drawings and is slightly different from the TX18, closer to the original Hickman sled.
There are many variations on the Hickman Sled lines, you'll find discussions about them all over the web.
William Jackson designed one of those variations, I know of one that made the cover of an old magazine but I don't know anything about it's performance.

About my design: it is inspired by the latest versions of the Hickman's boats: wider than the first ones and with an anti trip chine.
The TX18 is much wider, the HS is closer to the Hickman version.
See a picture of the 2 3D models combined below. The HS is narrower and longer.
Another difference is the inverted vee at the transom: The TX18 has zero deadrise, the HS has a couple of negative degrees which, from the data collected by Hicksman, detracts a little bit from top speed but gives a smoother ride in a formed sea.
I suspect that it also reduces the risk of aeration in tight turns.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

After posting this, I remembered that there was an inverted vee sled for sale in Stuart Florida while I designed the TX18. I saw the boat and spoke to the owner who was very positive about the boat's performance.
I did not take a test ride, this was an old plywood boat built from plans from the 50's and the hull was in poor shape: cheap plywood.
I don't know more but the boats may be out there and you may find some owners but keep in mind that our hull lines are different.
The TX18 is closer to the old magazine lines, the HS is closer to the last hulls designed by Hickman.

burton.lewis5
New Poster
New Poster

Post by burton.lewis5 »

Thanks again Mr. Mertens,
Do you think a 40h.p. motor would be enough motor for the H.S. 18?