outboard FL26

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

outboard FL26

Post by Rob Eades »

I have almost bought the FL26 plans several time,but heres the situation.I'm sure this applies to many builders.

I mostly sail/boat on a 52,000 acre impoundment of the Savannah River.We are about 200+ miles from the coast.Just about the only diesels are on old cruising sailboats or a handful of monster houseboats.The closest diesel mechanic is also 200+ miles away.On the other hand there are outboard mechanics on every corner and the initial outlay for the engine is maybe half.Realistically,I'm not sure that the diesel efficiency will ever make up for the cost differiential.

JM already knows all this,but I'd like to see more of these built.Maybe the outboard will do it.

The little diesel FL is super cool though! 8)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: outboard FL26

Post by jacquesmm »

It's on the back burner again.

While sketching an outboard version of the FL26, I realized that I should redesign the complete hull.
As designed, the hull is perfect for moderate speeds but I am afraid that with an outboard version, builders will install extra large engines to get the boat on plane and that is not going to work.
For that boat, an extra large engine is 50 HP and above.
The FL26 is not a planing hull and with a large engine, she would have a very bad trim not go real fast.
Either I insist that the hull is designed for 14 mph and will not sell many plans or I redesign the hull with a straight bottom for planing.
I know from experience that my recommendations for low HP do not work . . .
A planing bottom is a complete redesign and I am not ready to do it now.
Maybe later.

As designed, the FL26 can take an outboard on a bracket.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

jacquesmm wrote:As designed, the FL26 can take an outboard on a bracket.
An outboard, say 20-40hp ideal, for the purpose of displacement cruising... Right? :D

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

14 mph would be perfect! Wit a fuel efficient OB under 50 hp - you might have more buyers than you think!

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

Agreed Jacques.

If you did a bottom like Reuel's Commuter or something between a Mullet skiff and a Hooper Island Drake, that can run in the teens and twenties, she'd sell like hotcakes.

I think it's worth putting in the time, that's got lots of appeal, even if it's dreamers.

E

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The comments by Tobolamar and ChicagoRoss are a good surprise, I may revisit the idea.
Spokaloo wrote:Agreed Jacques.

If you did a bottom like Reuel's Commuter or something between a Mullet skiff and a Hooper Island Drake, that can run in the teens and twenties, she'd sell like hotcakes.

I think it's worth putting in the time, that's got lots of appeal, even if it's dreamers.

E
Do a search for comments on the Reuel Parker Commuter: on plane, she trims with the bow high and slams too much to be taken offshore at planing speeds.
At that trim, there is no difference between a flat bottom and shallow vee.
It is clear from her lines and the same will happen with a FL26 redesigned with a straight run.
I did spend a few days on the hull shape and there is no way around it: unless we go for a deeper vee, she will pound in a chop.
If one wants more vee, we have a Panga25 with cabin, a smoother running boat than the Commuter 27.
A redesigned FL26 outboard will still be a real good hull for protected waters or good days offshore. She will also be seaworthy enough to take offshore in moderately bad weather but not at planing speeds and less seaworthy than the existing FL26.
There is the point of balance in bad weather. I mean the longitudinal volume distribution.
As designed, the FL26 is a well balanced boat but in order for the hull to plane, I have to straighten the bottom aft and increase volume there. That can lead to problems in a formed sea.
Researching it by comparison with existing designs, I remembered the Dave Gerr Offshore 28.
That hull is almost as good as it can be designed if you want a flat bottom outboard in that size.
The bottom is very narrow to reduce pounding and that makes her tender, very tender.
He remedy to the unbalance by pinching the bottom at the stern and have a pronounced rake in the bow
but the narrow bottom beam at the stern requires some extra HP to compensate.
This is reminiscent of the OD16/18 concept: pinched bottom at the stern (less than Gerr) and instead of bow rake, I use a very flared bow and pronounced sheer.
It works and within the limits of flat bottom boats, they are very seaworthy. Just ask owners of the OD's.
I prefer that to the Gerr compromise: more stable and more efficient, less HP.
That hull concept is a good base for a FL26 outboard.
So, a planing FL26 for outboards will require a complete redesign, more work and time than what I expected.
Builders who know may buy the Gerr plan and those who don't will complain about the limitations of my new design.
However, a slower boat, one with a speed target just above 10 mph is very feasible with the existing hull.
I'll keep that in mind but right now, I have a bunch of small boats on the list: fine tune the building of the SUP, at least one more kayak and some other small boats.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

I hear ya. That article last year from Reuel talks about the second hull shape after all the pounding problems with the earlier one (and the wonky trim).

I guess my point wasn't so much that pounding was the concern, moreso that I think a planing version that ran a little faster when conditions permit (OD18 style), especially for lake and ICW people that aren't going to be using the boat in the sea. As she stands, running a little faster would be a horrible trim angle, from what I understand. Seems as if many of the threads talk about planing, going back to her first unveiling. Everyone will slow down when they need to, as nobody will like bashing through boat wakes when she pounds, but in smooth water the legs would be nice.

I have been thinking about this lately personally a bunch. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in one type of water that we don't have another type in the front of our mind. Something that's penned for running around in bays, inlets, and coastally isn't necessarily what lake dwellers are going to buy, and here in the US there's just so many people that are tied to lakes and rivers. Chris Craft built a thriving kit industry on them, and you do a pretty decent amount of work there too.

Just a thought Jacques.

E

Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Eades »

In thinking about an outboard FL26,I had no thoughts of changed performance characteristics.I would want a low HP motor hidden in a well.It seems that the other posters generally agree.That boat is just too classy to hang an outboard off the transom! :help:

JBRoberts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBRoberts »

I would love to see the FL26 with an outboard in closed transom like Bolgers Blackbird. I think it would be preferential for me in the mid-west with lakes and rivers and more opportunity to prop foul. The inboard FL26 version was a design I was thinking of but hesitant about the inboard.

JM...can u keep woring on the outboard version and not back burner it ?

Thanks...JB
St Charles, IL

First One: OD16 - Complete 2009
Second One: Still Trying to Decide after Triumph TR4 Restored