Garvey 14 bottom

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
anonymous

Garvey 14 bottom

Post by anonymous »

The Garvey 14 is a great looking boat. Good job, Jacques. It looks like just what I want for a car-topper for fishing on hand-launch ponds and for ducks. <BR><BR>I am a little confused by the description that says the bottom is a 3/8 fiberglass ply sandwich, while the BOM lists 1/4 and 1/2 ply sheets. What is the G14 bottom? 3/8 seems about minimum for me, as I am a larger specimen, about 250 pounds, and have the feeling that I will crash through 1/4 ply! I think 1/2 would be fine for me, if the finish weight comes ~out at 140#<BR><BR>Also, just an observation, I think the graphics for the Garvey 12 and 14 on the Power Boats page are switched.<BR><BR>Your new Harbor cabin dory looks great. I need to work up to it, though...<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Jason K

anonymous

Garvey 14 bottom

Post by anonymous »

I am not sure which boat you are referring too, but most of the boats are built using 1/4 plywood (type depends on the boat). After you sandwich that plywood in epoxy and fiberglass, you end up with a composite that is approximately 3/8 thick and very strong.

JeffS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Garvey 14 bottom

Post by JeffS »

I think the 3/8 bottom is created by 1/4 plywood and a layer of 12 0z biaxial cloth on either side. The bottom is really stiff once put together. I am working on finishing my GF16. The frames support the floor as well as the runners on the bottom of the boat. Include to theat the sides supporting the floor, you have basicall a bunch of 2´ X 4´ boxes that are glassed on both sides and runners supporting the length of the box into thirds. The biggest open floor is between the casting deck and the middle seat. This area will be smaller in your boat and stronger. The runners also support half of this area. Once the rub-rails and spray rails are on this area becomes very stiff.<BR><BR>Being as big as you are, you might not want to jump up and down on the front flooring when it is on the trailor, but when on the water the water will help give more support.<BR><BR>Jeff

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Garvey 14 bottom

Post by Rick »

The boat in question here is the GF14, the 14´ jon boat or flat-bottom garvey. I thought maybe Jacques or Evan had penned (or CADed) another member of the V-bottom garvey family (GV11, GV15, GV17, and GT23).<BR><BR>And for what it´s worth, it does look like the little line-drawing pictures of the GF12 and GF14 are reversed on the Power Boats page.<BR><BR>- Rick Tyler<BR>

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Garvey 14 bottom

Post by jacquesmm »

I want to insist on the strength of that bottom: it has a tensile and flexural strength equal or better than 1/2" marine plywood!<BR>Don´t think of the core only, it is a true sandwich.<BR>If you have doubts, buy a trial kit and make a sample panel. You will be impressed.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com