OD16 or D15

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
anonymous

OD16 or D15

Post by anonymous »

I´d like a simple, easy to build, shallow draft boat for inshore brackish fishing; everything from chasing Reds in the marsh duck ponds to catching Specks in semi-protected bays/lakes. I want something that takes the chop better than a Carolina Skiff. The OD16 seams a little large at 7´ wide and the D15 narrow at 5´. Can either of the plans be modified for a 6´ wide boat of similar design? Which would you recomend?<BR>Darren.

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

OD16 or D15

Post by JimW »

You are right about the big difference between these two boats. I own a D15 and was out chasing reds yesterday. Only caught one rat! But a mess of other junk fish. A big fish missed my hook by a 1/2 inch when it took the back half of my pinfish off. My D15 does what you say well, but it gets crowded with more than 2 fishing. It´s narrowness makes it ride softer but makes it slightly less stable initially. The cost for powering the D15 is much lower and if you want a very simple to build, cheap to operate, shallow water creek machine the 170 pound D15 will be your ticket. If you need to be able to run an inlet occassionally, or fish with two others regularly, or carry a ton of tackle and gear the OD16 or maybe the GV15 will do the work. But the D15 is far easier to finish quickly. Mine was in the water after about 6 weeks of work. It´s a good first build and gives you confidence.<BR><BR>Jim
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19

anonymous

OD16 or D15

Post by anonymous »

Thanks for the input Jim.<BR><BR>Right now I chase Reds in marsh duck ponds in my canoe, factory built. Last weekend my dad and I caught a mess of Black Drum, several Sheephead and a handfull of Reds. When I threw the last one in the box it was so full, two jumped out, one in the boat and one in the water. I wanted a wider boat before that happened but now I just gotta have it. Also, I´m afraid to go into bigger Speckled Trout waters in the canoe and would llike to crank up a motor and explore every bayou in the parish.<BR><BR>What is the configuration of your D15? Does the ice chest go in front of the cockpit or did you build it in? Baitwells?<BR>Also, do you know if it can be made wider?

Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

OD16 or D15

Post by Lon »

I don´t know your kind of fishing, but I too went from a commercial 5HP freighter canoe -- to a FL-14 and was very surpised at the increase in size, stability and capacity. Most builders of any of these boats seem to say "Man this is a BIG boat". I suspect you may regret trying to make a D-15 wider but that is only my guess.
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

OD16 or D15

Post by JimW »

http://www.members.tripod.com/jax_racin ... ><BR>First link is a finished picture. Second is my construction website for D15. The design is nice. My gas tank is a standard plastic 12 gallon and fits right under the mid seat, aft of the midframe. In front of that frame a big 48 quart cooler fits nicely. As you can see from the picture I chose to build hatch covers for two of the side compartments. If you´re fishing from a canoe currently, you´ll love the D15. It´s narrowness and those characteristics won´t even be noticed. It can squeeze into almost the same places your canoe can but can take the two foot standing waves that the out going new moon tide threw at me in St. Augustine inlet on Tuesday. Jacques had some good pictures of my D15 details on the site under the "get togethers" heading but they aren´t there anymore. Maybe he´ll send them to you in a post?? <BR><BR>Jim Wright
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19