serious question...half homebuilt?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

serious question...half homebuilt?

Post by Rob Eades »

Lets say you want to take on a bigger build, lets say 25+ feet.Would it be possible/reasonable to complete the hull with all core material done and glassed,along with all items glassed inside the hull such as tanks and chase tubes,and then employ a small "custom" builder familier with this building technique to do everything else? I'm thinking engine, electric/electronic systems , head and galley equipment and fair and paint.Would such a yard charge me too much? Run away screaming? or maybe take it on as long as it didn't interfere with bigger projects?

My situation is that both girls are out of college, business and cash flow are healing nicely from the recession and work is taking more of my time.

thoughts? :doh:

Rob

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: serious question...half homebuilt?

Post by Cracker Larry »

Sure, but you can expect to pay a good shop something between $75 and $120 an hour labor rate. That could add up real fast 8O Or you could find an experienced builder with a backyard shop who might do it for $25-$30 hr. Still wouldn't be cheap. Nobody experienced enough to completely wire a boat, install engine and electrical, electronics, plumbing and painting is going to work for less than that.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gk108

Post by gk108 »

That's what I was going to say. Probably about double the overall cost, compared to a complete DIY.
CC, D15, V10

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent »

Rob Eades wrote: My situation is that both girls are out of college, business and cash flow are healing nicely from the recession and work is taking more of my time.

thoughts? :doh:

Rob
Rob, Your project will be stretched out a bit, but press on. I have talked to so many fellows that took 5 to 7 years to complete there build.