Why build your own boat?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Why build your own boat?

Post by WobblyLegs »

Out on the boat yesterday, and the skipper of a large grey rib (rigid inflatable) hails me over - I go alongside and he says "every man and his dog can have a rubber duck, but very few can have something like that!" pointing to my boat.

That's why!

I get comments almost every time I go out. Thanks for the plans guys, almost eleven years since I started building and eight years after first launch, I still love using this boat (no maintenance needed yet btw :) ).

Tim.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Why build your own boat?

Post by topwater »

Its good to hear from you Tim , the boat still looks great 8)
Novi 23 finally launched !

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Hello Tim......glad to hear and see how well your boat is doing! I have built alot of things in my life including million dollar homes as well as my own modest one, and absolutely nothing compares to the pride and joy I feel enjoying a day on the water in a boat that I built myself. Always get a lot of compliments and questions like "who makes that boat" at the boat ramp.
Leaving the ramp one day I noticed a police car following me, and when I pulled into a gas station, they pulled in right behind me.
My wife asked me what I did wrong, I said I wasn't sure. Both officers got out and while one started asking questions about the boat and the other was quietly doing an up close inspection. After answering a few questions...I was free to go :wink:

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Tim,
I really agree with you about why build your own boat. I had a look at all your library pictures and love the perfection you achieved in a tent in London. Have you got the boat now in Walkersbay South Africa ? I got my BBV whilst living in South Africa at the time of the concrete boat building scene for the Cape to Rio race. Now I hope to splash my AD14 this summer which I am building since 2013. Your build gives me a big boost to finish mine soon.
Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Thanks for the comment guys - I've been "offline" for a while having moved back to SA seven and a bit years ago, and with two new additions to the family, now 6 and 2 years old, things like boat building, and even being part of a forum which has been so helpful to me in my build in the past tend to take back seat.

I have, however met many boating people in this time, and whenever they comment on 'Three Summers', I always refer to this site - who knows, maybe some have bought plans ;)

Wishing everyone a great 2016! (It's looking promising for me, so maybe in a year or two I can tackle the Maia 24 - love that boat!!)

Tim.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Tim good to hear from you. The boat looks as good as when you first built her. Glad your still enjoying her.

TomW
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Very nice looking boat. We sailed past your city a few weeks ago! Our sailboat is in Simonstown right now while my daughter and I visit Vancouver for 2 weeks.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Evan_Gatehouse wrote:Very nice looking boat. We sailed past your city a few weeks ago! Our sailboat is in Simonstown right now while my daughter and I visit Vancouver for 2 weeks.
You want to come visit when you get back from BC? We can pull out a mattress for you!

Tim.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

I would love to, but we have a haulout scheduled in Port Owen the opposite way.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

It gets better!

I've just been approached by a TV show to have the boat in one of their episodes!

How cool is that!?

Tim.