ORCA kayak questions

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
bwhite829
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

ORCA kayak questions

Post by bwhite829 »

I'm still up in the air as far as my paddle craft that I want to build...either the HK15, the R13, and after looking at the sk21 I'm really interested in that. I am wondering if I can modify it to be a S.O.T or at least a hybrid? If I can, I think that might be the best option. I'll be using it on the rivers, deer hunting, hog hunting, duck hunting(both with dekes as a layout boat and for float hunting/jump shooting), and offshore fishing. It will be used solo so the seat will be moved up to center/slightly off center. I am thinking about something like the below picture, however think the orca 21 will be more stable than the design in the image, and with it being extended I can have a small gun locker/rod locker like the one in the picture except longer.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ORCA kayak questions

Post by Browndog »

Unless you enlarge the cockpit significantly, I think you'll find a sit inside sea kayak of any size difficult to shoot or fish out of. They are not the most stable of craft for those activities. What you are contemplating might be better with a decked over canoe or a bateau. A garvey style boat with a removable blind might also fit the bill for what you habve in mind. A canoe or a garvey have significantly more capacity for carrying people, cargo, decoys, etc.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Good answer by Browndog, thank you.
The SK17 is not stable enough to become a sit on top. She is a great boat as designed but she is a true eskimo kayak.

Hunting will require more capacity than a kayak, the HK15 would work, maybe the R13 but it will be borderline.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

bwhite829
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bwhite829 »

Thanks for the clarification. I really like the MCinnis Bateau/AGB(don't remember the name of your specific plans) R13, and HK15. If I decide to do the kayaks I will leave them as is and use it for kayak touring instead. I saw some of the popular boats for fishing, such as trident 15 by ocean kayak, and some of the perception yaks and got hopeful as they are all around same width of the SK21.