Page 1 of 1

How to register your newly built boat

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:42 pm
by bakerbob101
Hi new to this forum. Have built 3 boats from scratch many years ago and was thinking I'd like to give it a go again. but in this new era of regulations my question is------- In New Jersey USA is how do you go about registering your newly built boat. What do you need to do to get the vin #'s for it and approved to actually use it your new boat

Re: How to register your newly built boat

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:18 am
by TomW1
Many people have built boats in NJ and hopefully one of them will see this and direct you to where you need to go to get the correct information. Since I use my boat in NC and IA I had success by looking up NC Boat Registration and Titles and the same for Iowa. Here I looked it up for you. http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/boat-registration.php

Tom

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:21 am
by BrianC
You first need to get a hull ID number - fill out this application to have the state assign a 12-digit hull identification number to your home made boat:
https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/forms-dow ... AT-014.pdf

Then register it in the usual way. You'll need pictures and may need receipts for materials used so that they can compute the sales tax you'll need to pay when registering the boat for the first time. Here are the details: https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/boating/r ... procedure/

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:33 pm
by TomW1
Brian great info for VA hope others will see and use it for your state. :D Bob is in NJ though.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:13 pm
by TomW1
For Jeff. Can we get a sticky on this subject as it always seems to come up especially with new builders. Then people can post to it for the states they live in. There are vast differences from state to state. Just see Brian's post for Virginia and the NJ post I made for Bob. For NC it is very simple send your money and 2 sheets of Form VL-1 filled in. GA and FL as I recall require an inspection. It would be helpful if those posting provide a link to the requirements.

Tom

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:01 pm
by Jeff
Tom, I am happy to help in any manner but I am sorry, I don't know what a "sticky" is. Help me here!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:40 pm
by joe2700
Jeff wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:01 pm Tom, I am happy to help in any manner but I am sorry, I don't know what a "sticky" is. Help me here!! Jeff
The threads that stay at the top of the list when newer posts are added. They stick to the top.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:07 pm
by Jeff
Joe2700, thank you for the explanation, I truly did not know what "sticky" was. Let me work this with Jamie tomorrow and we will get this done!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:55 am
by TomW1
That will be great Jeff. Make your first post like "We are trying to collect all the different states requirements to register our boats. If you could please post a link to your states requirements for getting a VIN and registration and Title if required it would be appreciated." Put it in your own words of course.

Also if you can bring Brian's instructions for VA up it would be good as a first post. I'll post the NJ one I found for Bob and the NC one.

Regards, Tom

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:58 am
by Jeff
TomW1, we will initiate this morning as soon as Jamie arrives!!! Thank you for the great idea!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:17 am
by bateau-webmaster
Stickied!

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:48 pm
by TomW1
For North Carolina: http://www.ncwildlife.org/Boating/Registration-Titling

For Iowa: http://www.iowadnr.gov/Things-to-Do/Boa ... gistration

I hope every one sees this and contributes for futures builders.

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:00 pm
by Jeff
TomW1, now that this thread is "stickied", how do you find the full thread or where do I look to add information? Jeff

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:30 pm
by TomW1
Jeff you just look at the Title and add info to it as I did for NC and Iowa. We always Sticky our Boat building meeting in the fall like you did last fall. It would be best if you could move the Sticky to the bottom of the other Sticky's. Jeff maybe I didn't use the right term but lock it in like we do for the Southeastern Builder Meets. You made it a light bulb instead of a circle. Thanks for your help.

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:26 pm
by joe2700
For Massachusetts from "I made my own boat. What do I do about registration and titling?" at this page: http://www.mass.gov/eea/grants-and-tech ... boats.html

The owner of a homemade boat should contact the Environmental Police (1-800-632-8075) to schedule an inspection of the vessel by an officer (EPO). Homemade boats must be inspected to establish proof of ownership and to verify the description of the vessel. The inspecting officer will affix a State assigned Hull Identification Number (HIN) to the vessel and provide the customer with an inspection certificate that must be presented when registering the vessel. In addition, the applicant must submit a completed form provided by the Department of Revenue showing that sales tax on materials used has been paid ( ST-6/6E ).

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:29 am
by BB Sig
Florida Registration

https://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/87002.pdf

From https://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/FFFVO.pdf:

An initial application for the title and registration of a
homemade vessel must be filed by the vessel owner with
the county tax collector office. In making application for
an initial Florida title, the owner of a homemade vessel less
than 16 feet in length shall submit to the county tax collector
Form HSMV 82040, along with Form HSMV 87002 and a
$5.25 titling fee (for electronic title) or $7.75 (for paper title).
Upon receipt of the application, the Department may elect
to conduct a visual inspection of the vessel to insure that it
meets the legal definition of a homemade vessel. The owner
of a homemade vessel 16 feet or more in length shall be
required to contact the nearest district office of the Fish
and Wildlife Conservation Commission to arrange for a
physical inspection of the vessel. At the time of inspection,
the owner of the homemade vessel shall be required to
submit an executed Form HSMV 87002 or Builder’s
Certificate to the inspecting officer. Upon satisfactory
completion of the inspection, the inspecting officer shall
provide the owner of the homemade vessel with an
executed Certificate of Inspection, FWC/DLE-126, which
must be submitted to the county tax collector along with
Form HSMV 82040, Form HSMV 87002 or Builder’s
Certificate and $5.25 titling fee (for electronic title) or $7.75
(for paper title). (Note: In addition, a registration fee based
on the length of the vessel and any applicable sales tax must
be paid.) The website for the Fish and Wildlife Conservation
Commission is www.myfwc.com.

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:57 am
by jacquesmm
Florida, explained differently:
- if the boat is less than 16', long, go to the local DMV with your invoices for supplies, declare a home built boat and fill the form. You will pay registration and get a title with a number, very easy.
- if the boat is longer than 16', call the FWC (see previous post) to get the boat inspected. Take the inspection form and go to the DMV as above.

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:44 pm
by tcason
Maryland registration:

it was very easy no inspection just send paperwork with pictures and a check - took me less than a month!

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/Boating/Pages/ ... ation.aspx

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:46 pm
by cvincent
Louisiana:

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries:http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/boating/bo ... gistration

1. Print form - Tax Certification Form R-1331-L;
2. Bring the form to Dept of Revenue located in Baton Rouge with all your receipts or you can mail in (good luck with mailing your form in). Here you will pay taxes on any materials purchased out of state or online and they will sign off on the form;
3. Bring form to you local county/parish tax collector do the same as above;
4. Schedule appointment with Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries for inspection of boat, they will not inspect the boat unless the R-1331-L form is completed (showing taxes paid), signed/sealed, and presented at the time of inspection.
5. If everything is perfect and the stars and moon line up then they will register your boat.

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:15 pm
by willg
Texas. See heading in overview for homemade boats. You need an inspection and assignment of hull ID number to begin.
Overview - http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/own ... memade.pdf
PWD 143 form - http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdf ... cation.pdf
Affidavit of Fact PWD 314 - http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdf ... f_fact.pdf

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:30 pm
by TomW1
Wow what a difference in the requirement between states since I asked Jeff to do this. I hope that the builders in other states see this and contribute also, Fuzz in Alaska, our Hawaiian builders, California, Mississippi and others that come to mind.

This will be a great resource to post builders to or Jeff my even refer to it in the Builders Notes when he ships a set of plans.

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:34 pm
by Jeff
TomW1, great idea on referriing builders to the thread!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:21 am
by BarraMan
I'm down under in Queensland, Australia but am posting this as it may be of value to a builder in this part of the world.

The issue for me was not registering the boat but rather, getting insurance for an owner built boat.

Registration: All new boats require an Australian Builders Plate that gives details of max. hp, max. persons and load, and flotation. Owner built boats don't require an ABP in Queensland, but can't be sold without one. I have no intention of selling my boat but I got an ABP because I thought it might facilitate obtaining insurance on the boat. As I had modified the Jacques original Mangusta 20 plans, I got an appropriate person to calculate the data needed for the ABP, but I am sure Jacques could supply that data for a boat built to one his designs. The registration authority supplied a Hull Identification Number (HIN) on application.

Registration itself was just a matter of filling out the form and paying the fee.

Insurance: Obtaining insurance was also quite straight forward, although only a few of the larger insurance companies would consider insuring an owner built boat. Those that were interested required photos of the completed boat, a condition inspection report from a marine dealership, and a valuation report from a yacht/boat broker. I supplied those plus a copy of my build diary, including many build photos.

All good - boat registered and insured!

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:43 am
by bateau-webmaster
Out of curiosity, about how much above your cost to build did they value the boat? (a ballpark percentage not looking for the exact dollar amount here)

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:15 pm
by BarraMan
Jamie, that is a tricky question to answer and what I have invested will horrify some in here. I have spared no expense in my build and have generally used the best (arguably) materials and fittings available.

The boat is insured for A$120k, made up roughly as follows:

Hull - A$40k: marine ply, glass, epoxy, fuel tanks, pumps, hull fittings, seats, pedestals, SeaDek etc
Motor - A$35k
Trailer - A$15k
Bolt ons - A$30k: Jack plate, trim tabs, sounder/gps combos (x 2), transducers (x 4), electric trolling motor, anchor winch, batteries (x 5)

The hull cost does not include my labour and there is no labour provision for fit-out.

I did not get a valuation as such from the broker - I just gave them my figures and they certified it was a fair valuation for a comparable boat of that size and standard of equipment and fit-out.

My wife tells people that I have spent A$400k on the boat !!! :lol: However the figures above are close to the mark.

I still have some money to spend on S/S side rails, T-top, vinyl wrap, radios and lights.

If one follows my model, then "build your own" does not deliver a cheap boat! :D

Is it worth it? Yes, for me it is. The boat has more than exceeded my every expectation. I cannot buy a production boat that suits what I like to do and intend to do better that this one. It is a completely unique custom built boat.

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:16 pm
by bateau-webmaster
Agreed, The method isn't meant to be necessarily economical (though it can help to distribute the cost of owning a boat over time, and there are some models that can be cheaper than a factory boat of the same size). Plywood/FG composite gives a stronger, and lighter finished product, and to me that is worth the extra expense. Also the fact that you get to configure it exactly to your needs, as you have done, makes the whole process worthwhile.

Glad you are enjoying the process. Your work is an inspiration to many builders here, I can't wait to see some of the adventures had in that boat!

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:58 am
by Jaysen
Updated June 15 based on the call I just had to complete the submission for Lil Bit....

SC process as just explained from the DNR on 24th April 2017 for a sailboat with NO mechanical propulsion....

1. Complete boat.
2. Go to http://www.dnr.sc.gov/boating/boatingforms.html and download forms "Watercraft/Outboard Motor Application, Bill of sale, tax exempt form, co-owner form" and "Application for Hull Identification Number for Watercraft"
3. Complete forms.
4. Take close up pictures of bow port and starboard and transom. Take photos showing FULL BOAT from port, starboard, front and back.
5. Open wallet and find $10 for a NO MOTOR AT ALL sailboat/kayak/rowboat or $40 for a big boy boat with a motor.
6. Make copies of the completed SIGNED forms. Send the cash and original forms to DNR address on forms (all at one time).
7. Go on the water WITH your copies as these are your temp tags valid for 60days. Wait a min of 30days with a completed boat you can't legally use.
8. Pray to deities numerous that LEO doesn't want to talk to you (they come to you)
9. Once HID, title and reg (if over 14') arrive properly place tags and reg # on hull.
10. Pay taxes once they show up next year.

Process length is min 30days.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:40 pm
by Wheels Up
In Alabama, fill out this application for a hull number and register it like any other boat.

http://www.outdooralabama.com/sites/def ... 2015_0.pdf

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:24 pm
by TomW1
Jeff thought you had put this at the top like the Amateur boat building in Europe one is only not locked.

Tom

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:11 pm
by Jeff
Tom, me too!! I will get Jamie to have a look right away!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:10 am
by bateau-webmaster
There we go stickied once again.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:24 am
by bateau-webmaster
Gino wrote:Bexar and Guadalupe county Tx. San Antonio is the largest city in area.

Take receipts and cash to Fish and Game office. Do not take boat.

Show that you have receipts ( they won't look at them). Pay $25 fee to register boat as homemade. Schedule an apt with game warden to examine boat

Return for inspection. Warden will go through short checklist. 5 min if that.

Paid $80 and received all numbers and paperwork. Game warden only wants to verify it is homemade, could care less about pics or paperwork.

Office staff was clueless what was needed. Game Warden was decent and moved process quickly.

Painless.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:21 pm
by Christer
Regulations for Norway (in case there are more Norwegians building their own boats or looking to do so and register the boat afterwards):

In Norwegian (English translation follows):

Full tekst: https://www.redningsselskapet.no/sbr/re ... asjonskrav

Punkt D) er av interesse for selvbygde båter.
d) Er båten selvbygget, skal kopi av kontrakt for leie av støpeform, kopi av kvitteringer på kjøp av halvfabrikat og/eller materialer brukt i konstruksjon legges ved. Bilde(r) av båten kan legges ved for å dokumentere produksjonen. Ved selvbygg der båten er bygd fra grunnen av, dvs. den er støpt/sveiset/snekret av eier, trenger ikke båten og CE–merkes. Det trenger den heller ikke hvis den selges etter at det har gått 5 år i fra ferdigstillelse. Hvis båt skal selges før det har gått 5 år i fra ferdigstillelse må båten CE–merkes.
I korte trekk må man kunne dokumentere ved hjelp av bilder at man har bygget båten selv før den kan registreres i Småbåtregisteret. Merk at man ikke får forsikret båten om den ikke er registrert og registreringsskilt utstedt.

Nyregistrering koster NOK450,-.

Skjema for registrering finnes her: https://www.redningsselskapet.no/sbr/re ... 5a18bf75d4

ENGLISH:

Full text: https://www.redningsselskapet.no/sbr/re ... asjonskrav

Article D) is of particular interest for home-built boats.
d) If the boat is home-built, a copy of the invoice/rental contract for the mold, receipts for the purchase of prefabricated parts and/or materials used for the construction must accompany the registration form. Pictures of the boat can also be submitted as documentation for the build. In cases where the boat is made by the owner from the ground up, i.e. molded/welded/built from wood by the owner, the boat does not require CE approval. Likewise it does not require a CE approval if sold more than 5 years after completion. If the boat is to be sold within 5 years of completion, a CE approval is required.
The short version is that you need to be able to document your build to register it in the Norwegian Register of Small Boats (Småbåtregisteret). Note that you cannot insure your boat without it being registered and have had a license plate issued.

New registrations cost NOK 450,-.

Application form is here: https://www.redningsselskapet.no/sbr/re ... 5a18bf75d4

EDIT: After a chat with my insurance company, they informed me that it is possible to insure unregistered boats. Some insurance companies charge a higher premium for the insurance as there is greater risk involved as the boat can't be tracked, but most, if not all will insure your unregistered boat regardless of whether it's a self built boat or a bought production boat. Also, there is no law mandating boat registration nor insurance, though both are recommended.

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:04 pm
by kvrhovcak
I am building OD16 in Europe (Croatia) and I read "Amateur boat building in Europe". Anyway, seems that the registration procedure here is easier if I can prove compliance of the plan with standards - can I download somewhere some type of certificate for purchased plan?

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:22 pm
by jacquesmm
Compliance :doh:
It is impossible to guarantee compliance with every law in every country but our boats are designed in accordance with the ABYC and USCG standards.
The ABYC industry standards (American Boat and Yacht Council of which I am a member) are very close to the CEE norms and we have many boats built and registered in Europe.
Read more in our FAQ and in other threads in this form: in Europe, amateur-built boats do not have to conform to CEE norms, they do not need to have to follow all those ISO rules. Those rules are for professional manufacturers.
The problem is that in some cases, the local officials are not aware of that exemption. Evan Gatehouse and I have posted several times the exact article of CEE rules that says that amateur-built boats are exempt.
If you don't find it, I will do the search myself next week.

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:56 am
by kvrhovcak
jacquesmm wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:22 pm Compliance :doh:
It is impossible to guarantee compliance with every law in every country but our boats are designed in accordance with the ABYC and USCG standards.
The ABYC industry standards (American Boat and Yacht Council of which I am a member) are very close to the CEE norms and we have many boats built and registered in Europe.
Read more in our FAQ and in other threads in this form: in Europe, amateur-built boats do not have to conform to CEE norms, they do not need to have to follow all those ISO rules. Those rules are for professional manufacturers.
The problem is that in some cases, the local officials are not aware of that exemption. Evan Gatehouse and I have posted several times the exact article of CEE rules that says that amateur-built boats are exempt.
If you don't find it, I will do the search myself next week.
Thank you for answer! Yes, there are quoted CEE rules in "Amateur boat building in Europe" thread. I am just asking if you can share some type of certificate (eg. issued by ABYC, for designer or company), without any additional effort from your side. Bottom line is that I would like to avoid discussion about plans quality with local authority, because I can prove that I purchased plans from experienced designer instead trying to design boat by my own.

P.S. Where I can report few inconsistencies in conversion to metric units in plans? Can be helpful for other builders in Europe.

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:12 am
by jacquesmm
There is no such thing as an ABYC compliance certificate, sorry.
In the US, the builders are responsible for compliance but it is voluntary, not mandatory. No paperwork is issued.

In Europe, there is such a document but it is only required for professional builders. There are organizations who check compliance and they charge several thousands of Euros per plan!

I can make a copy of my ABYC membership and post a PDF here. It is a big diploma and I can not scan it, just take a picture.
Now that I think of it, I also have a SNAME diploma (Society of Naval architects and Marine Engineers).
I will go to my old office, take pictures and post them here.

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:24 am
by jacquesmm
For the discrepancies in metric, please post them with the drawing number.
The translation is done automatically by the CAD system but we may miss a few when we select what must be translated.
There is only one model, one drawing, all parts are the same but the dimensions look different.

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:50 pm
by jacquesmm

Sorry for the quality, I did not want to take them out of the frame.
That should enough to show them that the plans were not drafted by an amateur.

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:45 am
by kvrhovcak
Thanks for the effort! I will describe my experience once I finish legal procedure.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:06 am
by Capt UB
This is for a boat under 16 ft. in Florida.

I asked Jeff (BBC) for copies my receipts, they have the name of the supplier (BBC) and the cost, receipts will have the Plan name of the boat build. I did not use anything else, no HD or Lowes receipts just BBC's. This was for a boat under 16 ft.

Homemade Vessels

An initial application for the title and registration of a homemade vessel is filed at the office of the county tax collector or license plate agent. If the homemade vessel is less than 16 feet in length forms HSMV 82040 and HSMV 87002 must be presented along with a $5.25 titling fee (for electronic title) or $7.75 (for paper title) or $11 (expedited (fast) title). A registration fee based on the length of the vessel and any applicable sales tax must also be paid.

If the homemade vessel is 16 feet or more in length, a physical inspection of the vessel by a member of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) must be conducted. FWC may be contacted through their website at www.myfwc.com. At the time of inspection, a completed form HSMV 87002, Vessel Statement of Builder, must be submitted to the inspecting officer. Upon satisfactory completion of the inspection, the inspecting officer will provide a completed Certificate of Inspection, FWC/DLE-126, which will be submitted to the county tax collector or license plate agent along with forms HSMV 82040 and HSMV 87002 and a $5.25 titling fee (for electronic title) or $7.75 (for paper title) or $11 (expedited (fast) title). A registration fee based on the length of the vessel and any applicable sales tax must also be paid.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82040.pdf

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/87002.pdf

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:44 pm
by TomW1
Capt. thanks for your addition for boats under 16'. Many of the builders have been helped by the post above for builds over 16'. You can refer to it when your ready to register you LM18.

Tom

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:49 pm
by Dutch1
Other people have posted good information for registering a homemade vessel over 16ft in FL. I was provided with a copy of the FWC Signal 29 Procedures - Homemade Vessel Inspection by an FWC officer. This document is what they use to perform the inspection. I told him about this forum and asked if I could post it. He said please do as the more prepared the person is the better for the inspection. It was hard pasting the document in here without re-formatting it. If you want the MS Word version PM me and I will email it to you.

---------------------------

Procedures for completing a Homemade Vessel Inspection:
(Use form FWCDLE 126)

Determine that the vessel is homemade:

• Homemade Vessel – Any vessel built after October 31, 1972, for which a federal hull identification number (HIN) is not required to be assigned by the manufacturer pursuant to federal law, or any vessel constructed or assembled prior to November 1, 1972, by other than a licensed manufacturer for his or her own use or the use of a specific person. A vessel assembled from a manufacturer’s kit or constructed from an unfinished manufactured hull shall be considered to be a homemade vessel if such a vessel is not required to have a hull identification number assigned by the United States Coast Guard. A rebuilt or reconstructed vessel shall in no event be construed to be a homemade vessel.

• If the homemade vessel is less than 16’ the applicant should be directed to DHSMV where they will be required to submit to the county tax collector Form HSMV 82040, along with Form HSMV 87002 (available through the DHSMV website or county tax collector’s office). DHSMV may elect to conduct a visual inspection of the vessel to ensure that it meets the legal definition of a homemade vessel.
- There is no requirement for FWC to conduct this inspection on vessels less than 16’ but it would be helpful to DHSMV and is sometimes requested.

• The owner of a homemade vessel 16 feet or more in length shall be required to contact the nearest FWC office to arrange for an inspection of the vessel. At the time of inspection, the owner of the homemade vessel shall be required to submit a completed Form HSMV 87002 (Builder’s Certificate of origin) to the inspecting officer.
- Officers should make an appointment to inspect the vessel and tell the applicant that he/she needs to bring the following items to the inspection:
- Completed DHSMV 87002 (Applicant should provide a copy for the officer to turn in with the 126).
- Receipts (or copies of receipts) for materials.
- Blueprint or plans (if used/available)
- Photo’s (or copies of photo’s) of construction process (if available).

• Once the inspection is complete, submit the original report (FWCDLE 126 and all associated documentation) through the chain of command. Once approved, the admin staff will send the applicants copy via certified mail along with contact information for DHSMV.

- The officer should not feel a sense of urgency to give the inspection to the applicant immediately. He/she may need to check data bases or confer with a supervisor before completing the inspection. Once approved, the applicant will receive the FWCDLE 126 via certified mail).
- Details recorded in the comments section should include confirmation that receipts for building materials match actual construction and info provided on the 87002, any interesting or unusual features or characteristics, photos of the construction process were provided. Do not include information as to seaworthiness, value or whether or not a title, HIN and registration should be issued. Stick to facts about the construction.
- If the applicant can’t produce receipts for materials then the officer should record details of where, when and how the building materials were obtained as well as approximate cost. It is recommended that the officer require the applicant to provide a signed witness statement attesting to these facts of construction.
- Copies of building material receipts as well as photo’s taken during construction should be obtained whenever possible and attached to the original report to be submitted for approval.
- Generally, someone who builds their own boat is quite proud and takes photos throughout construction which they are equally proud to show off and share.
- Overall length determines the class of the vessel which determines safety equipment requirements and registration fees. Overall length is measured in a straight line from the fore most part of the stem (bow) to the after part of the stern through the centerline, excluding any projections that are not part of the hull. Officers are to measure the vessel using this method.
- Officers should tell the applicant that DHSMV is the final authority for issuing title and that they will receive the inspecting officer’s certification via certified mail once it has been approved (this should not take longer than 2 weeks).
- The applicant can expect a minimum of 8-10 weeks for DHSMV to send a title or reject the application.

Tools for Completing Vessel Inspections (Homemade and Other Than Homemade):

FWC officers are the experts for DHSMV where vessel inspections for homemade as well as other than homemade vessel inspections are concerned. Officers need to complete thorough, thoughtful investigations and provide as much detail and information as possible in their report.

• There is no requirement for an officer to complete a vessel inspection in one visit.
• If additional room is needed, a narrative continuation form (FWCDLE 045A) should be used and marked as supplement.
• Vessel inspections should not be conducted while the vessel is afloat unless its size prohibits removal for inspection.
• Some homemade boats (especially air boats) are sold as kits and bare a manufacturer’s name but not a manufacturers HIN number. Kit boats, having been assembled and finished by the purchaser are considered homemade and should be inspected as such.
- When inspecting a boat baring a manufacturer’s name but displaying an FLZ number, if it’s not stated on the bill of sale, you may want to contact the seller and ask if the boat was built from a kit.
- Another option is to contact the manufacturer and ask if they include a hidden HIN on their boat kits.
• Get statements from the applicant concerning all aspects of the acquisition. Don’t accept vague statements, practice your investigative skills and get complete information.
• Following the procedures for found property may be more appropriate for obtaining a title in some circumstances.
• In all cases, photos should be taken and attached to the inspection form along with other documentation (receipts, written statements, etc.) provided by the applicant.
• Many times it is necessary to contact vessel manufacturers to determine the original purchaser. The first 3 characters of the HIN number is the Manufacturer Identification Code (MIC). The website to obtain manufacturer contact information is: http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_database.htm
• Another resource for tracking down information is the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NCIB). When there is no record in NCIC / FCIC it could be because those files are purged regularly. The NICB does not purge records, and may be able to provide further information.
- The number for NICB is: 800-447-6282.
- The caller will need to provide the agency name, ORI, Officer name and ID number.
• Be very wary of boats:
- Which have obviously been popped off of a mold and have no HIN. Ask to see the mold or determine where the mold came from and where it is now.
- When there are manufacturer names or graphics on the boat or indication that names/graphics have been removed.
- When there are signs that HIN or registration numbers may have been in place; ask questions and don’t accept vague answers.
- A hidden HIN number is required for vessels built after 1984. The hidden HIN can be found in a variety of locations so look carefully and creatively or call the manufacturer and ask.
- The International Association of Marine Investigations (IAMI) is a good resource for locating hidden numbers on a variety of manufactured boats.
• Though not required as part of the vessel inspection, officers should take a close look at the motor and trailer when inspecting “packages”.
- Outboard motors manufactured after October 1, 1985 are required to have serial numbers affixed (FS 860.20). Outboard motors are easily stolen and sold; ask questions about where the motor came from.
- If the serial numbers required to identify ownership of an outboard motor do not exist or have been removed, erased, defaced, or otherwise altered and its true identity cannot be determined, the motor may be seized as contraband property and subject to forfeiture (ss. 932.701-932.704).
- Any trailer having been used on public roads should have been registered at some time.
- Manufactured trailers generally have a serial number on them somewhere, look in a variety of places for identifiers and compare this to the tag information.
- Sails have manufacturing numbers located at the base of the sail.
• Vessel inspections often turn in to great cases involving stolen property, failure to transfer title, and/or title fraud. Proper titling and registration would ultimately lead to fewer derelict/abandoned vessels for which an owner cannot be located.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:53 pm
by Dutch1
Oh and by the way, I'm on week 9 to get my hull number from DHSMV. It takes about 3 days for FWC to submit the package to DHSMV. The rest of the time is DHSMV. Ridiculous! My inspecting officer did offer to go to DHSMV with me if I hadn't received the hull number in 10 weeks. Standby for more...

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:01 am
by Aripeka Angler
Dutch1 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:53 pm Oh and by the way, I'm on week 9 to get my hull number from DHSMV. It takes about 3 days for FWC to submit the package to DHSMV. The rest of the time is DHSMV. Ridiculous! My inspecting officer did offer to go to DHSMV with me if I hadn't received the hull number in 10 weeks. Standby for more...
It’s crazy how two different builders can have completely different experiences in the same state.
A senior FWC supervisor inspected my FS18 and signed the home built inspection document in about 20 minutes.
My son and I took the BBC receipts and the signed FWC form to the DMV office in Dade City.
We walked out with the registration numbers and the sticker in less than one hour.
The title is being sent in the mail but we could have spent a little more and got a “quick title” on the spot.
Dutch, I’d be tempted to try a different DMV office. I would get a copy of the FWC form and hand carry it to the DMV.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:48 pm
by Dutch1
Aripeka Angler wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:01 am
Dutch1 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:53 pm Oh and by the way, I'm on week 9 to get my hull number from DHSMV. It takes about 3 days for FWC to submit the package to DHSMV. The rest of the time is DHSMV. Ridiculous! My inspecting officer did offer to go to DHSMV with me if I hadn't received the hull number in 10 weeks. Standby for more...
It’s crazy how two different builders can have completely different experiences in the same state.
A senior FWC supervisor inspected my FS18 and signed the home built inspection document in about 20 minutes.
My son and I took the BBC receipts and the signed FWC form to the DMV office in Dade City.
We walked out with the registration numbers and the sticker in less than one hour.
The title is being sent in the mail but we could have spent a little more and got a “quick title” on the spot.
Dutch, I’d be tempted to try a different DMV office. I would get a copy of the FWC form and hand carry it to the DMV.
I think I'll do that. I've emailed the officer that did the inspection. I'll give him tomorrow to respond. Either way, I'm not ready to splash it yet.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:48 am
by Capt UB
They make it sound like you get the Inspection Certificate that day!!!

The owner of a homemade vessel 16 feet or more in length shall be required
to contact the nearest district office of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to arrange
for a physical inspection of the vessel (http://myfwc.com/contact/staff-contacts ... l-offices/). At the time of
inspection, the owner of the homemade vessel shall be required to submit a completed Vessel Statement of Builder
or Builder’s Certificate to the inspecting officer. Upon completion of the inspection, the inspecting officer shall
provide the owner of the homemade vessel with an executed Certificate of Inspection; form FWC/DLE126, which
must be submitted to the county tax collector
, along with HSMV 82040 and the Vessel Statement of Builder.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:59 am
by Capt UB
Just found this write up....

Question:

I am building a boat. Who do I need to contact about having it inspected and registered and titled in Florida? Why does the FWC inspect homemade vessels?

Answer:

Applications for vessel title and registration are to be filed by the vessel owner with the county tax collector's office (tag office) in the county where the vessel is located or in the county where the vessel owner resides. The builder needs to have and complete a "Vessel Statement of Builder"- HSMV 87002 form. Follow directions on the form.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission does not title or register boats. However, an FWC officer will need to come and inspect your "Homemade" boat before it can be registered and titled in Florida. Once you have the inspection form and other construction documentation (building plans, photos, materials receipts, etc) to verify that the vessel is "Homemade", call your local FWC Office to arrange an inspection. The officer will inspect the vessel to verify that the vessel is homemade and not a reconstructed or refurbished factory hull. The intent is to eliminate fraud, swapping of numbers, and is required by Florida Statute 328.01 (you can view Florida Statutes online).

The procedures and form for the inspection of a vessel being rebuilt or reconstructed from an existing hull are completely different. If it is the case that you need an inspection for a vessel being rebuilt or reconstructed from an existing hull, you will need to advise the FWC when you call to arrange the inspection. You can print the "Inspection for Other Than Homemade Boat" by clicking on the file attachment below. To find out which vessels need to be registered and titled and what is considered a homemade, rebuilt or reconstructed vessel, visit the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) Vessel Registration and Titles Web page.

After the inspection you will need to take the completed vessel inspection form back to the tax collector's office and have the vessel titled and registered through the DHSMV. They will issue the title and registration.

Potential manufacturers, or importers, of recreational boats must contact the US Coast Guard (USCG), Office of Boating Safety, Recreational Boating Product Assurance Division at 202-372-1078 and request a Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) form. View the USCG BOATBUILDER'S HANDBOOK.

They make it sound like you get the Inspection Certificate that day!!!

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:08 am
by jacquesmm
That is correct for boats longer than 16'. Here in Florida, you don't need a building declaration for boats shorter than 16', just your invoices for materials.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:32 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Capt UB wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:48 am They make it sound like you get the Inspection Certificate that day!!!

The owner of a homemade vessel 16 feet or more in length shall be required
to contact the nearest district office of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to arrange
for a physical inspection of the vessel (http://myfwc.com/contact/staff-contacts ... l-offices/). At the time of
inspection, the owner of the homemade vessel shall be required to submit a completed Vessel Statement of Builder
or Builder’s Certificate to the inspecting officer. Upon completion of the inspection, the inspecting officer shall
provide the owner of the homemade vessel with an executed Certificate of Inspection; form FWC/DLE126, which
must be submitted to the county tax collector
, along with HSMV 82040 and the Vessel Statement of Builder.
Once I made the appointment with the local FWC guy, he came out in a couple of days and looked at “Bare Bones” and signed the inspection form on the spot. You can get the FL numbers, hull numbers and Florida vessel title on the same day if you have a couple of hours to spare after the inspection.
The paperwork went exactly the same when I registered “Red Alert”.

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:07 pm
by cvincent
Louisiana – A file # must be assigned to your application prior to scheduling the inspection.
1 – Complete Boat Registration/Boat and Motor Title Application and mail with fee ($96.00 for 18ft boat) to Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. I called to inquire on the status of my application 3 weeks after submitting and was informed that they were 12 weeks behind with opening mail. The Agent said a file number will be assigned to my application and I will receive the letter via mail in 9-12 weeks. I received the letter after 8 weeks.
2 – Drive to Louisiana State Department of Revenue with Tax Payment Certification Form (R-1331) or mail form if you feel lucky. Present receipts for materials purchased on-line and pay taxes. LDR will stamp their seal on the document certifying that taxes are paid.
3 – Bring Tax Payment Certification to parish (county) tax collector. Present receipts for materials purchased on-line and pay taxes. Same as above, mail if you are feeling lucky. LDR will stamp their seal on the document certifying that taxes are paid.
4 – After receiving the file number I had to call the field office in my region to schedule an on-site inspection. The first thing they asked for was the file number for my registration. The field office only conducts inspections on Mondays.
5 – The agents scrutinized every receipt I had for materials and compared it to the total amount claimed on the Tax Payment Certification Form that was stamped and certified by both departments.
6 – This process took approximately 10 weeks to complete. The wildlife agent said the registration documents will be mailed to my house.

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:20 pm
by Jaysen
You pay taxes twice?

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:43 pm
by cvincent
Affirmative. State tax plus local parish taxes.

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:01 pm
by Salty F17
cvincent wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:43 pm Affirmative. State tax plus local parish taxes.
In total what was your final cost as I'm from La and will be doing the same thing also?

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:43 am
by cvincent
Hi Salty,

Total costs were: $183.00 state taxes, $164.14 parish taxes, $96.00 registration fee.

I forgot to mention that once you receive the letter with the file # you only have 30 days to schedule the inspection. If the boat is not inspected within 30 days the file # will expire and you have to re-submit. You will also need to bring form "Affidavit of Boat Inspection" with you. The wildlife agent can sign this form in lieu of getting the form notarized.

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:04 am
by Salty F17
cvincent wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:43 am Hi Salty,

Total costs were: $183.00 state taxes, $164.14 parish taxes, $96.00 registration fee.

I forgot to mention that once you receive the letter with the file # you only have 30 days to schedule the inspection. If the boat is not inspected within 30 days the file # will expire and you have to re-submit. You will also need to bring form "Affidavit of Boat Inspection" with you. The wildlife agent can sign this form in lieu of getting the form notarized.
Thanks