FS-18 (wide body)

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

FS-18 (wide body)

Post by Dog Fish »

Jacques, will you have a CNC kit for the new plans also ?
I have the standard plans but would rather build the wide - body .

Brian.............

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS-18 (wide body)

Post by Dutch1 »

I must have missed the thread on the wide body FS18. I'm interested. What's the latest?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

All, it is going to be called the Laguna Madre 18!! It is going to be a wide-body FS18 with a tunnel specifically designed for the Texas skinny water fishing!! We will have the plans and CNC kit but it is still a little while out. Jacques has been working on this design at the request of one of our Texas customers!! I promise we will announce as soon as the plans are ready and the CNC kit will follow shortly after!!! Jeff

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

Thanks Jeff, I was just copy and paste for Dutch1.

Re: Fs14 draft
Report this post
Quote

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:49 am

The new design is very close to the FS18 but 64" wide.
That's all there is to it.

A wider boat has more capacity, is more stable but requires more HP and does not pole as well.
Many have asked about a wider FS18, something between our very wide boats like the PH16 and PH18 and I agree, there was gap in our line up.
A wider boat allows us to show a tunnel as an option.
As always, remember that there is a price to pay in performance when adding a tunnel especially in a narrow hull. Our tunnels work well in wide boats like the XF or PH series, in a narrow boat, you will feel the difference.
The tunnel is an option, choose it only if you absolutely need it.

I am working on the renderings now, to have something to show and after that, I have to produce construction drawings.

Brian.............

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 »

Thanks Brian!

WC53
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WC53 »

:D now we're talkin!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It will be a good boat that fills the gap between our wide body flats boats and our narrow poling skiffs but always remember that a design is made from compromises.

The standard boat (no tunnel) drawings are 90% complete. I need several days to produce drawings for the tunnel and a few more days to write building notes. Let's say 10 days if nothing happens in between.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

Jacques thank you. I think the compromises to the FS-18 are just what I am looking for. :D

Brian.................

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

jacquesmm wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:16 am It will be a good boat that fills the gap between our wide body flats boats and our narrow poling skiffs but always remember that a design is made from compromises.
Given the number of queries about an FS18 with a tunnel over the years, this plan should sell well. 8)
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

I have the SK-14 and the FS-18 plans and was just getting ready to start the FS. Glad I waited by procrastinating, and I was one of the ones wanting the wider FS-18 for quit a long time. :D Should be a great boat :!:

Brian..........