Laguna Madre 18

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
bateau-webmaster

Laguna Madre 18

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Builders,

The Laguna Madre 18' is now available for purchase. The CNC Kit is not yet created, but hopefully it will be available soon

Build On 8)

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Laguna Madre 18

Post by TomW1 »

Wow Jacques you really have a winner here. The number of FS18's have been unreal but this one should be even better. I wish I lived on the east coast of FL. I would build one of these for inshore and an AB23 for offshore. Of course I would have to leave my beautiful mountains. :( And at 65 I think my boat building days are behind me.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

Great looking boat, I hope that new Yamaha 25 will push her ok.

The low sheer CNC Kit sounds good.

Brian.........

gatorgrizz27
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gatorgrizz27 »

Fantastic! I saw that it was 10" wider than the FS18, do you happen to have the max bottom widths and transom widths at the chimes? I haven't been able to find them for the FS18 anywhere.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

gatorgrizz27 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:04 pm Fantastic! I saw that it was 10" wider than the FS18, do you happen to have the max bottom widths and transom widths at the chimes? I haven't been able to find them for the FS18 anywhere.
You will really need to buy the plans to get these. Plans are a small part of the cost of the build 1-2 percent. I have about 6 plans.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

gatorgrizz27
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gatorgrizz27 »

TomW1 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:40 pm
gatorgrizz27 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:04 pm Fantastic! I saw that it was 10" wider than the FS18, do you happen to have the max bottom widths and transom widths at the chimes? I haven't been able to find them for the FS18 anywhere.
You will really need to buy the plans to get these. Plans are a small part of the cost of the build. I have about 6 plans.
I'm not attempting to get around buying the plans, I have purchased many sets of plans as well, just to make comparisons between the two boats and other production boats. Jacques has mentioned that beam measurements are relatively meaningless, bottom widths can vary. All I was looking for was "the FS 18 has a max bottom width of 42", and is 36" wide at the transom." Most designers/builders will provide this information. I've never gotten the idea that Jacques was unwilling to provide certain specs, just that it often wasn't convenient to look them up. I apologize if I am incorrect.

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

:( And at 65 I think my boat building days are behind me.

Tom, I never did see what boats you had built.

Brian.............just wondering

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Gatorgrizz,

I'll give the rough dimensions. At the bottom of the transom it'll be around 42" wide, at the widest the chines are close to 50" apart. For the exact dimensions please consult the plans.

gatorgrizz27
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gatorgrizz27 »

bateau-webmaster wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:13 am Gatorgrizz,

I'll give the rough dimensions. At the bottom of the transom it'll be around 42" wide, at the widest the chines are close to 50" apart. For the exact dimensions please consult the plans.
Thanks very much, that was what I was looking for. Just to have an idea of the stability and speed compared to other boats. I realize it isn't the only factor but it makes the biggest difference IMO.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

gatorgrizz27 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:47 pm
TomW1 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:40 pm
You will really need to buy the plans to get these. Plans are a small part of the cost of the build. I have about 6 plans.
I'm not attempting to get around buying the plans, I have purchased many sets of plans as well, just to make comparisons between the two boats and other production boats. Jacques has mentioned that beam measurements are relatively meaningless, bottom widths can vary. All I was looking for was "the FS 18 has a max bottom width of 42", and is 36" wide at the transom." Most designers/builders will provide this information. I've never gotten the idea that Jacques was unwilling to provide certain specs, just that it often wasn't convenient to look them up. I apologize if I am incorrect.
I am travelling for the next 5 weeks,Yellowstone etc. no or very little WiFi.
We will discuss this when I am back but the proportions are the about the same than the FS18.
PS: I never saw any designer giving that kind of information except maybe for beam at DWL but I will help you.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com