Yet another "scaled CS25?" thread

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Yet another "scaled CS25?" thread

Post by topwater »

Pretty sure it it helps keep glare off the windshield, especially at night.
Novi 23 finally launched !

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

topwater wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:09 am Pretty sure it it helps keep glare off the windshield, especially at night.
...but the windage and lost cuddy space!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

The big advantage in my experience is that it really clears the glass. You have gravity and wind working together to get the windshields clear so it's a good setup for rough weather.

If you look at boats with standard or reverse rake available, they usually share a deck, not a roofline, so there's no room lost. In fact, since radios etc often get mounted up top and are now foward and out of the way, the cabins sometimes feel a lot bigger.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I have found I punch a lot fewer windows out with the reverse mounting. Not much sucks worse than driving with no windows in lumpy weather plus having all your electronics shorted out :help:

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

BarraMan wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:32 am Crister, I haven't read this thread for a while, but now I am going to play "devil's advocate" and ask, "Have you really thought this through"?
Nope, not at all. I have obviously thought a lot about it, and may also have been blinded by all the large, flashy CC boats on shows like Florida Sportsman Project Dreamboat (more than just a little). Add to that a large serving of "the 3 foot disease" and the need to go bigger, badder and tougher than everyone else, and there's my boat project.

Realistically, what I need is an 18-22ft boat that will carry my family (2+2) and possibly another family of 2+2 safely, securely and as dry as possible for near-shore fishing trips, recreation and some light exploration.

So I bought an 18 ft boat with a 70 HP Johnson 2 months ago and splashed it this week. :)
BarraMan wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:32 am Obviously I have no idea of your personal circumstances, but when I read,
"I currently have a 15 foot open boat powered by a 30HP outboard"
, I got to thinking!

The remarks below come with the best possible intent!

That is a BIG boat!

a) Its going to take a lot of build time.
b) Its going to require more than a few $$$ (or the Norwegian equivalent of) to complete and fit out.
c) Its going to need quite a few ponies to make it perform.
a) I know! And despite being unemployed at the moment, I don't have any spare time whatsoever for some reason...
b) A while ago, while I was contemplating building a "stock" CS25, I did some rough calculations on the costs involved. I found a Norwegian supplier of marine plywood and other wood suitable for saltwater use. They also sell West System's epoxies and accessories, so I can get all my building supplies from one place, which will save a bit on shipping. In any case, just the hull will be around NOK160,000 (~USD20,000). That's just the plywood, epoxy and fibreglass required to build the hull, from what's listed on the study plans. Then there will be heaps more of everything for seats, console/pilothouse, fuel tank, electrics and electronics, fittings, paint and engine(s), etc etc. Peter had a single Evinrude E-Tec 300HP on his boat - those retail for NOK350,000 (~USD43,500) new, and I think I would like to get new motors for a project like this. And have them installed at the dealership's workshop.
c) If a single 300 drives a CS25 nicely, then with a CX30PH which will be longer, wider, taller and heavier, I should probably look at twin 250s or 300s. The price difference isn't that big between the 250s and 300s; the drawback is that we're looking at NOK600,000-700,000 (USD74,500-86,600) just for the motors. With inboard diesels we're looking at roughly the same cost. An interesing point however is that a Swedish company called OXE seems to finally have released their high-performance diesel outboards, so twin 300 diesel outboards could be a possibility. No clue what the cost would be, probably a bit lower, but all in all not that much of a difference to the bottom line. Which I guess will be somewhere around the NOK1.5M mark, if not closer to 2M.
BarraMan wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:32 am My boat is 22' (6.7M) long and is powered by a 250 hp Yamaha vmax SHO high performance 4 stroke outboard. Cruising at 26 kts its burning 40 L/hr.
The new-to-me 18ft with 70HP burns plenty already... Fuel (petrol) cost is also a big issue at USD7.50/gallon, so a build like this will probably leave me with a boat I can't afford to use...
BarraMan wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:32 am I think your planed build is going to require a lot more hp than mine, given that is 8+ ft longer and 2 ft wider. There are single O/B options up to at least 400 hp available now, and there is always the twin O/B option available.

My "other" boat is 12' long and powered by a 40 hp Yamaha 4-stroke. An average fishing trip cost me no more that $50 in fuel. My "new" boat costs me three times that in fuel for an average days fishing. I accept that for the comfort and options that a bigger boat allows.

If you have thought all these things through and are OK with them, then go-for-it, I say! I will follow your build with great interest.

But don't make the mistake of starting an ambitious build like this then bogging down and not finishing it, or building a boat that you find you can't afford to fully enjoy!

Cheers

Lee
As I wrote at the start, I have been thinking about this a lot, and lately I've been thinking that maybe a different type of boat is better suited to both my budget, time restraints and operations budget. I really like the CT22 Catamaran's size, though the interior needs to be rearranged a bit, and I would really like to have a windscreen and the possibility to at least pull up a canopy for when the weather inevitably changes. It's my understanding that a cat hull is easier driven and thus requires less motorage to achieve decent speeds. I'm not looking for race boat speeds in any case; the other day we were out in a slight chop and were cruising at 12-13 knots. I pulled it up to 20 for a short while, and the pounding was unbearable. The cat's hulls would reduce the pounding a lot, but still, top speed in the 25-30kn area is plenty.

I'll have to think a lot more about this for quite a while, but there will be a build. Some day. :)
8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

If fuel economy matters; the CS25 is not the boat.

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

That's my realization as well, but its lines are soooo seeexyyyy...
8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

hbav984
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hbav984 »

It would be sexery if it was 27’!!!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Build the Skoota 24. Boat of a lifetime. You'll never sell her and if you can find an end slip you can keep her in the marina.

I like Merten's designs. A lot. I own LB26 plans.

But for you, the Skoota 24 will give you 4mpg or so at cruise.

hbav984
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hbav984 »

That’s a nice boat but I need something that can fish Inland as well as offshore. In Louisiana one day we fish trout the next day tuna.