Yet another "scaled CS25?" thread

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Yet another "scaled CS25?" thread

Post by cracked_ribs »

Christer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:33 pm

That looks...awesome.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

cracked_ribs wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:41 pm

That looks...awesome.
Love the looks of this. Be even better if it was built with an inboard diesel but that is just me :D

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

Thanks all for the nice comments on the looks of my creation :)

Jacques, I'll reply again a bit later with a thought-out reply, I've been thinking a lot about this project for a while and still haven't come up with a conclusion as to what to do. I would like to thank you for your comments and offer to scale the plans for me, however.
8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

hbav984
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hbav984 »

JM,

If you are willing to offer the following:

- produce lines for a stretched CS25 (CS28)
- show LCG, LCF
- add some frames
- produce scantlings in writing only for the larger hull.
This does not require too much work but from it, you can build a longer hull.
I would charge a couple 100's $ for that option and follow up with advice.
I would do it because many others have asked for a longer version of the CS25.

I would be willing to pay for this as i would like to see what C25 to CS27/CS28 looks like from a construction persepctive. I'm sure others like myself who are consdiering the CS25 would also pay a little extra for this option.

Thanks.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I am late with all my jobs: the foam sandwich notes are a much bigger job than what I expected.
Once that is complete, I have to finish the Tina but I would do the CS25 scaling before I start on the GL boat.

I may want to revisit my quote too because my drafter quit. My drafter was my son James but he is now in his 3rd year of civil engineering and very busy with school and internship. This means I have to do all the drafting myself. There is a lot involved.
The lines without dimensions are useless. I will have to cut new stations for molds and frames. I can't do the panels at that price. The hull panels are complicated with the flare and tumblehome but then, you would not get those panels from any other designer anyway, I am the only one supplying that data.
Let me finish the foam sandwich project first.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

hbav984
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hbav984 »

I'm sure you have your hands full with the foam sandwich stuff.

Good for your son! Civil is a great field with a lot of flexibility for work in many different industries. I'm a Mechanical Engineer and work with a bunch of Civil Engs.

I do a small bit of drafting (more around modifying equipment layouts on drilling rigs) and I was thinking that if I stretched the lower and side panels by 24" following the same curves that may give me the extra length. The more I ponder on it, adding the 24" I would have to add an additional frame between H and I (Closed Transom Version) because that distance between H and I is now 39 7/8". Also added 2 more feet would put additional stress on the hull so maybe beefing up the stringers ( 3/4" wider and raising the sole 1") may offset that.

Give this some thought and let me know. I can work up the drawings for the sheets so you can have a look and offer some advice. I'm not savvy enough on 3D CAD but if above thoughts would work then I can cut the transom and additional frame once I lay it out following the lines from the longer sole and bottom panel.

Once again thanks for the time on this.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

You can't just add pm tp H and I. It must be a full scaling from the bow to the stern and for each frame So for example frame A-B is 30" a 10% growth is 33" and so on. You can not just add leggth onto the sternt. The boat will out of balance. See this http://bateau2.com/howto/scaling.php

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Crister, I haven't read this thread for a while, but now I am going to play "devil's advocate" and ask, "Have you really thought this through"?

Obviously I have no idea of your personal circumstances, but when I read,
"I currently have a 15 foot open boat powered by a 30HP outboard"
, I got to thinking!

The remarks below come with the best possible intent!

That is a BIG boat!

a) Its going to take a lot of build time.
b) Its going to require more than a few $$$ (or the Norwegian equivalent of) to complete and fit out.
c) Its going to need quite a few ponies to make it perform.

My boat is 22' (6.7M) long and is powered by a 250 hp Yamaha vmax SHO high performance 4 stroke outboard. Cruising at 26 kts its burning 40 L/hr.

I think your planed build is going to require a lot more hp than mine, given that is 8+ ft longer and 2 ft wider. There are single O/B options up to at least 400 hp available now, and there is always the twin O/B option available.

My "other" boat is 12' long and powered by a 40 hp Yamaha 4-stroke. An average fishing trip cost me no more that $50 in fuel. My "new" boat costs me three times that in fuel for an average days fishing. I accept that for the comfort and options that a bigger boat allows.

If you have thought all these things through and are OK with them, then go-for-it, I say! I will follow your build with great interest.

But don't make the mistake of starting an ambitious build like this then bogging down and not finishing it, or building a boat that you find you can't afford to fully enjoy!

Cheers

Lee

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Ever since I saw this sketch I've been trying to think what it reminds me of. I finally thought of it: that's basically the Ocean Sport Roamer.

I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Is the reverse rake windshield just for water over the bow?

It seems like a forward rake would allow for a cuddy.

Never understood the reverse rake well.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495