Yet another "scaled CS25?" thread

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Yet another "scaled CS25?" thread

Post by Christer »

I just noticed that on the top-view picture, the PH is placed further back than on the side view one. Use the side view one as "proper" placement, as that was placed exactly where the CX25 cabin was.
8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Not seeing the images...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:41 pm Not seeing the images...
I just created a gallery album, uploaded the image to that and edited the post linking to the gallery image. Does it show now?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Christer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:59 pm
I just created a gallery album, uploaded the image to that and edited the post linking to the gallery image. Does it show now?
Yep.

That's not hideous. I wonder what Jacques will say about the stretching though...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Christer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:33 pm I don't think the hulls are that similar, to be honest, plus I want the higher freeboard of the CS hull.
Thoughts?
That hull imo looks closer to the GS sheerline as to the CS, as you can see on their website the Axopa doesn't have much freeboard either it is closer the the GS as to the CS, topview of the boat is also closer to the GS as to the CS, Keep in mind in the studyplans the are talking about maximum beam, although the CS max beam, is wider it's like my English Bulldog small narrow ass wide shoulders :P If I'm not mistaken the GS has an overall wider beam especially there where you need it for your pilot house.
Thoughts? well I'm still thinking a Carolina flair doesn't fit a pilot house like that to well, Google Carolina flair with pilot house imo they all suck and to and be honest that I also think of the CX, but hey beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it's your boat you should do as you please :wink:

Edit: here's a somewhat top view from my CS, can you see how narrow it is in the back? and I even narrowed my aft decks to get more space, the widest point of the beam is well at the bow there where for your layout you don't need it, pic doesn't show very well but it is

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:01 pm
Christer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:59 pm
Yep.

That's not hideous. I wonder what Jacques will say about the stretching though...
No, the more I look at it, the more I like it. Not just because I "made" it, but it's actually not too bad.

I wouldn't worry too much about the stretching, I just needed a bigger boat to put the pilothouse on. A hull that size would, as Jacques has mentioned many times, require a redesign. That said, I have found many other Carolina Sportfish hulls in various sizes; 14', 17', 20', 23', 25', 26', 27', 31' and 35', so from my uneducated point of view, I can't really see it being too hard to design a larger boat based on an existing design. No offense to those who do know and who do this for a living, I have nothing but respect for the work involved. Aside from the maths required to figure out the balancing points, angles etc for getting the boat on plane, there is also the calculations of number of frames, where to place said frames, spacing both front-rear and side-to-side for frames and stringers, where to put fuel tanks, water tank, waste tank, and then everything else that comes with the console/cabin/pilothouse.

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

peter-curacao wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:04 pm
Christer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:33 pm I don't think the hulls are that similar, to be honest, plus I want the higher freeboard of the CS hull.
Thoughts?
That hull imo looks closer to the GS sheerline as to the CS, as you can see on their website the Axopa doesn't have much freeboard either it is closer the the GS as to the CS, topview of the boat is also closer to the GS as to the CS, Keep in mind in the studyplans the are talking about maximum beam, although the CS max beam, is wider it's like my English Bulldog small narrow ass wide shoulders :P If I'm not mistaken the GS has an overall wider beam especially there where you need it for your pilot house.
Thoughts? well I'm still thinking a Carolina flair doesn't fit a pilot house like that to well, Google Carolina flair with pilot house imo they all suck and to and be honest that I also think of the CX, but hey beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it's your boat you should do as you please :wink:

Edit: here's a somewhat top view from my CS, can you see how narrow it is in the back? and I even narrowed my aft decks to get more space, the widest point of the beam is well at the bow there where for your layout you don't need it, pic doesn't show very well but it is
The Axopar's hull and the GS hull are definitely closer in appearance than the CS hull, but I like the CS hull better with the raised bow and generous bow flare. Granted, the GS has some bow flare as well, which probably could be made bigger/wider, but the freeboard is overall lower. Having two kids, I want a higher freeboard so that they don't fall overboard, and strapping the kids to the handrails is kinda frowned upon...

I agree that the cabin/pilothouse on the CX25 study plans could do well with a redesign, which is why I'm doing this thought experiment. I'm not saying the Axopar PH is the one I'll ultimately go for, at this point I'm simply looking at different options to see what might work. The Axopar 28 has a 295cm wide beam, which is probably about midship where the pilothouse is, so widening the CS hull to 10' may be enough especially as I'm planning to build the pilothouse full width for the hull. The Axopar also has a walkway around the PH, albeit a narrow one. The difference in width may be negligible with the CS' wider gunwales.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

"Redesign" is all the stuff you mention. You need to figure out placement, number and size of stringers/frames, hull material thickness changes, glass schedules, various safety things for positive buoyancy as well as how to cut all the panels (complex curves all over that). It's not a minimal effort.

I'm sure JM will comment. Just be prepared to hear "that's a custom design and it will cost $Q for completing".

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I am surprised that nobody referred to this HowTo file:
http://bateau2.com/howto/scaling.php
That is a good start to estimate what is involved in scaling.

(Christer, look at the names, does Tangvald rings a bell?)

The sketch makes sense: a stretched boat could take that pilothouse and being born in Belgium, having sailed the North Sea, I agree about the need for a pilothouse.
Yes, a stretched boat would be a redesign and I don't plan to do that soon but I could, if you are patient, do the following:
- produce lines for a stretched CS25 (CS28)
- show LCG, LCF
- add some frames
- produce scantlings in writing only for the larger hull.
This does not require too much work but from it, you can build a longer hull.
I would charge a couple 100's $ for that option and follow up with advice.
I would do it because many others have asked for a longer version of the CS25.

Be patient is the key word: I work slowly.

Please read the scaling HowTo page first.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Christer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:01 pm

The Axopar's hull and the GS hull are definitely closer in appearance than the CS hull, but I like the CS hull better with the raised bow and generous bow flare.
I agree with you I like those lines better also, I was under the impression you were looking for a boat similar to the Axopar that's why I was pointing out all those things I wrote, guess I misunderstood please ignore my previous posts about this subject.