Insight into First Build

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
texasdrifter
New Poster
New Poster

Insight into First Build

Post by texasdrifter »

I'm sure I fit into a vast number of people that visit this forum and post stuff like this so here it goes. Currently trying to decide on whether to build a boat or keep on my very slow savings plan going. Got about $2,000 stored away and adding about 800 a year. At this point, I'm thinking why not build one since I have time but not the 4-5K to buy a starter gheenoe skiff/trailer/motor, and maybe by the time I'm done, I'll have enough for a motor and trailer (plus I know I could justify the extra money to the wifey with a built boat in the garage and no motor or trailer). Honestly, I need you pro's advice for what boat would be a good fit for me and the occasional friend to work on, if you think we could do it, and to answer general questions that are likely asked 1000 times on here by other newbs. Here are some details about me.

-I have ZERO boat building experience/knowledge/understanding of verbiage
-I was a business major with ADD, not an engineer, so detail complexity will stretch this thing out longer than most people need
-I currently kayak/canoe fish SKINNY Texas flats off of the ICW near POC/Seadrift
-I fly fish when the conditions are good and conventional fish when they aren't so a front and rear deck is a big win.
-I really enjoy taking young men to fish with me and experience the outdoors so at least 2 people is a must
-Not a huge fan of middle bench seats.

My Top 4 Potential Builds are:
LM_LS 18 (Seems like this is perfect but complex?)
FS14_LS (Easiest maybe?)
FS 18 (Probably the coolest looking one)
SC 16 (Cheapest?)

-First, which stands out the best given my situation? What do I need to consider that I'm likely not considering?
-How would you rank those builds in difficulty and cost?
-The study plans seem to say they're all easy to build but I'm easily fooled. Are they, in fact, all "easy" to build for a guy in my shoes?
-Do the plans explain verbiage used in boat building so that I would understand them and know clearly what to do?
-Does the CNC kit cut a lot of complexity and time off the build and do I spend a premium to get it or just a small mark up?

Thanks for any help and patience beforehand!

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Insight into First Build

Post by narfi »

texasdrifter wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:03 pm -I have ZERO boat building experience/knowledge/understanding of verbiage
You do not need any experience/knowledge/understanding, just a desire to do it. We can help you with the rest :) (the tutorial section should be read before you start asking questions ofc)
texasdrifter wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:03 pm -Does the CNC kit cut a lot of complexity and time off the build and do I spend a premium to get it or just a small mark up?
I cut my own panels on my HC14 with zero issues and it stitched together perfectly first try.
I cut my own panels on my current project FS17 and had to unstitch it twice to trim areas I didnt get quite right.

If you are budget minded, I do not think there is any problem with cutting your own panels, just make sure you measure 3,4,5, times before you cut.
If you are time sensitive (which it doesnt seem you are) then the CNC packages will potentialy cut a week or more off your project if you would have had issues with your own measurements.
(I am happy with my choice to cut my own, but can definitely see the advantage to starting with perfectly cut panels and formers and no questions about if it is fitting together right.)

To be fair, if you are on a seriously tight budget, you could get a used or 1/2 finished project cheaper than you could build your own.
If you want to build a boat, then you should build one, if you just want to own a boat, you should probably just buy one. (same goes for airplanes :P )

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Welcome to the fun Texasdrifter.
I will let others who know more about skinny water boats chime in on boat choice but I think any of those would make you happy. I looked at the materials needed to build the LM-18, my pick, and your $2000 would go a long ways to building that hull. You do not need to buy everything all at once so this works good for building as you have the funds.
As for not knowing terms or what to do how and when you have come to the right spot. Post pictures and ask questions, you will get good and friendly advise from folks who know.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

This question is "made" for me to answer!

First, I probably should establish my bonafides - here's my boat, it performs pretty much like it looks!

-I have ZERO boat building experience/knowledge/understanding of verbiage
Nor did I. That's my first and only (for now!) boat build. Take it slow (at least at first), read a lot and ask lots of questions.
-I was a business major with ADD, not an engineer, so detail complexity will stretch this thing out longer than most people need
I am an old cow vet! These boats are generally only as complex as you want to make them.
-I currently kayak/canoe fish SKINNY Texas flats off of the ICW near POC/Seadrift
I have no experience with this so - no comment!
-I fly fish when the conditions are good and conventional fish when they aren't so a front and rear deck is a big win.
I don't (maybe one day), but I'm a lure chucker so front and rear castings decks were essential for me also
-I really enjoy taking young men to fish with me and experience the outdoors so at least 2 people is a must
I can relate to that!
-Not a huge fan of middle bench seats.
Me neither!
My Top 4 Potential Builds are:
LM_LS 18 (Seems like this is perfect but complex?)
FS14_LS (Easiest maybe?)
FS 18 (Probably the coolest looking one)
SC 16 (Cheapest?)
If you think the LM LS 18 seems perfect then that's sounds like a good place to start. As I have said above, I don't think these boats are complex (perhaps "Skinnydip" is an exception - see the powerboat builds threads!).
-First, which stands out the best given my situation? What do I need to consider that I'm likely not considering?
No comment!
-How would you rank those builds in difficulty and cost?
None of them are difficult, but some may take you longer to build than others.
-The study plans seem to say they're all easy to build but I'm easily fooled. Are they, in fact, all "easy" to build for a guy in my shoes?
The plans don't lie!
-Do the plans explain verbiage used in boat building so that I would understand them and know clearly what to do?
I think the designer (JM) is a man of relatively few words. I found the plans to be pretty straight forward and anything I couldn't figure out was sorted in this forum.
-Does the CNC kit cut a lot of complexity and time off the build and do I spend a premium to get it or just a small mark up?
The CNC kits are obviously very accurate and convenient - but not essential, and you do pay a premium for the convenience. I cut out my own!
Thanks for any help and patience beforehand!
Your welcome!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Texasdrifter, welcome to Builders Forum!! I see you already have several responses from some really skilled builders!! Just take your time and select what best suits yours needs and the forum members will always give you good feedback and guidance!! Again, welcome!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Welcome to the forum Texasdrifter. . With your program I agree the LM18 looks like the best choice for you. Now as for building her you can buy the plywood and part of the fiberglass to start her, then add on as funds are available. It will stretch your build time but if you want a well built, long lasting boat it is the way to go. Buying the plywood will cost you $800 plus shipping if you cut it your self. Then you will need to buy the fiberglass/epoxy kit which is $1025 or you can buy part of it. Call Jeff and talk to him to get the correct prices and shipping costs. 1-772-770 -1225

Take care and take it slow. You can do this and you will have lots of help you will just need to ask. Learn how to take and post pictures here so we can see what is happening.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Welcome Texasdrifter!!

My first build was in 2007, it was an XF20 flats boat I call "Red Alert". She is still on the water over 10 years later...

I have actually fished and visited POC, any of the boats you mentioned earlier will work fine there but I am prejudiced.

I am currently building an FS18, a boat on your list. Link to my build thread.

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

An FS18 would be perfect for your home turf IMHO.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 »

Texasdrifter,
Man go for it. I had never built a boat before either and studied this site for 7 months or so before I pulled the trigger and ordered the supplies for my FS18. I can honestly say that nothing I have ever welded, built, crafted, etc has given me the satisfaction as building my boat. Trust the plans and measure 5 times as mentioned. Take your time and enjoy the journey! In the end, you will have a boat you made with your own hands.

Steve

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

Welcome to the forum. For your intended use, and budget, I think the FS18 would be the right choice. I think the SC16 is too small to fish 2 guys, especially fly fishing. It's essentially a square backed, wide canoe. Unless you' were building a much larger boat, the process for building the FS18, FS14, or LM18, is identical, and none of it is technical, or very difficult, but just takes some time, and a good portion of that time is sanding and smoothing out the surface if you want a factory finish. Not much difference in materials for the FS18 and FS14, close to the same amount of labor, and both will work well with a 20hp motor. The LM18 would be an excellent boat for your needs, but would be more expensive to build, a little more labor intensive, and would really work best with a larger, thus more expensive motor, say, 30-40 hp. The plans are all very easy to follow, and the lay out part is fun, and not at all difficult or intimidating if you decide to go that route. You'll get all the help and advice you need here on the forum. Have fun with your build whichever design you choose, post pictures and ask questions. I look forward to following your build and helping in any way I can. Mike

texasdrifter
New Poster
New Poster

Post by texasdrifter »

Probably one of the most helpful forums I've been on to date. Thanks for all of the input so far!