Insight into First Build

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
texasdrifter
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Insight into First Build

Post by texasdrifter »

Thanks! I'm compiling something of an excel file on what the final costs estimates are for each boat. Any thoughts on the other question...
texasdrifter wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:53 pm One question I have is if you buy the epoxy/glass kit and a cnc kit, does that cover everything needed to finish the boat except paint?
Seaslug, I saw your beautiful FS14_ls and I've been seriously considering it as it seems to be really affordable build after its all said and done. Would it be impolite to ask what your final cost was trailered and motored on it? Also, I'm curious to hear if it would ride two people?

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I feel like most people use more fairing compound than minimum needed.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

You will use more epoxy. Double it.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Lights can cost as mentioned $60 and up but you need a 360 deg white light and the red and green nav lights too. Switch to control them. If you want live well/bait waits built in. Then pump/pumps to have the water oxygenated with control switches. Don't forget anchor and line, throwable PFD, paddle/oar, compass, horn and not required but recommended, day/night signal device. Being so close to the open water in the bays it's a good idea to have- I was told when getting a motorized canoe safety inspected. In Texas you can get done for free.

You will also want to consider fuse holder/power distribution block (can get $$) marine grade wire and a battery/batteries. Because I have done a little bit of saltwater fishing from kayak/canoes with electrical systems onboard I paint all connections with liquid tape-ALL CONNECTS. Funny how that salt water finds it's way into everything. I also pack all switches with dielectric grease, you have to take them apart to do it, but will last very long with failing.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

texasdrifter, I purchased the FS14_LS from SeaSlug for use at local Boat Shows. Feel free to call Reid or I (772.770.1225) should you want to get a good idea of build costs for any of our boats!! Jeff