Considering a DE23

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
brackish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Considering a DE23

Post by brackish »

I finished a FS14 almost two years ago and am currently considering a DE23. Questions:

There is a note in the study plan about a closed transom version and using a bracket. Are you talking about a bolt on such as an Armstrong? Or do the plans include dimensions for an integral bracket that can be built on as part of the boat which I think would be preferred?

On this plan and others with standing headroom cabins, there are notes about structural foam being preferred for the superstructure. I'm not finding much on building techniques using this material in the tutorials or other tech info. Are they here somewhere and I'm missing them?

What is included in the"hull weight" vs. "displacement"> Is crew included in displacement? Trying to get to tow weight and load for preliminary trailer sizing.

Thanks

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Considering a DE23

Post by jacquesmm »

brackish wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:21 pm I finished a FS14 almost two years ago and am currently considering a DE23. Questions:

There is a note in the study plan about a closed transom version and using a bracket. Are you talking about a bolt on such as an Armstrong? Or do the plans include dimensions for an integral bracket that can be built on as part of the boat which I think would be preferred?
It is a bolt on bracket like the Armstrong. It would be very difficult for an amateur to build a bracket. If I designed a DE23 with an integral bracket, it would look like a DE25 with a weird transom. No savings of materials, wasted space, complicated and ugly. It makes more sense to build a DE25.

On this plan and others with standing headroom cabins, there are notes about structural foam being preferred for the superstructure. I'm not finding much on building techniques using this material in the tutorials or other tech info. Are they here somewhere and I'm missing them?
See my foam sandwich tutorial:
http://bateau2.com/howto/foam1.php

What is included in the"hull weight" vs. "displacement"> Is crew included in displacement? Trying to get to tow weight and load for preliminary trailer sizing.

Thanks
The hull weight is the hull weight, empty but complete, with empty tanks and a minimum of hardware, no engine.
Displacement is the weight of the boat in the water, with what I consider a normal load and crew, an engine, 2/3 fuel etc.

See one of my recent posts about that (DE25 I think). Those boats were designed to be light and easily driven but people keep adding stuff and bigger engines. The DE23 and 25 can take much more than the designed displacement. Builders have posted performance figures for boats loaded with 1 or 2,000 lbs more than designed and they still perform well.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Considering a DE23

Post by fallguy1000 »

Just so you know, foam is much easier to work with than plywood. It cuts with a utility knife, or a table saw, it forms with a sureform, and you can run routers and planers with it.

The reason for foam is to lower the CoG of the vessel and its weight which will reduce roll and create a safer vessel for a few.

The only trick with foam is you cannot screw into regular foam. Know this and prepare for it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495