River Belle

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

River Belle

Post by jacquesmm »

I restarted the River Belle project.
https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... 40#p415881

I locked the old thread, let's start a new discussion here.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: River Belle

Post by jacquesmm »

Let's restart this thread.
For those who did not read the whole thread, this is about redesigning the Atkins River Belle, a 35' shallow draft (2') boat.

I drew the hull last year but was not happy with the lines. I could not blend that tunnel nicely in the bottom panel. I started again from scratch 2 weeks ago and the new model is superb, very fair, very smooth and very close to the original table of offsets. (I did not use the metric offsets somebody sent me but thanks.)

All hull panels are developable with thick plywood but for the panels below the chine, I have to use two layers with staggered seams, like Rhapsody but with thinner ply and thicker glass.
Foam sandwhich is also possible but will require some ballast. The plywood-epoxy sandwich skin will be close to the weight of the original hull but a foam sandwich one will be much lighter and require trim ballast.

I am ready to cut some stations but I need some decisions made first since I will show sections through the superstructure. Plus, I must locate the major bulkheads.
At this point, I do not plan to draft very detailed plans but I will produce enough drawings to easily build the hull, panel dimensions, 3D lofted stations, show a sketch of the layout and superstructure, bulkheads and frame locations, stringers as engine girders, suggested tank locations. All together more than the Atkins plans but since the lines are not my design, I will ask every builder to get the Atkins plans first.

I would like to throw some ideas around and wait for opinions. Let's start with the superstructure and sheer line.
As designed by Atkins, the sheer is straight and the cabin is about as elegant as a cheap casket.

One option is to design a typical river boat superstructure:

I would prefer to design something in the style of Summer Kyle or Roseate: a raised deck forward followed by a wheelhouse and a traditional aft cabin, trawler style, maybe add a flybridge. Summer Kyle is bigger than River Belle, I will have to adjust the accomodations.

To make things clear, I decided that the ideal program for this boat is the Great Loop for a couple.
I would put a 4 cylinder Cummins in there.
I recommend a bow thruster.

I will draw a round (cylindrical) transom.
I would love a steadying sail on a mast strong enough not only to lift the dinghy but to be fitted with paravanes.

That's it for now.
If there is enough interest, I may work on an original design based on the same principle: a 35' shallow draft boat capable to do the Great Loop but wider than the River Belle.

Let me know what you think.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Some line drawings showing the new hull.

For those new to the concept, this is a well proven hull type. Based on the Atkins hulls, Dave Gerr designed several boats that perform well, fast and seaworthy.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Good luck with this project Jacques. What a wonderful motor cruiser she will be!
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jacques what a beautiful concept. I know some people have asked for something larger than the TW28 and this would fit that need. What would you envisage top speed and cruising speed to be with the Cummings. Top speed maybe in the low 20's and cruise in the high teens? Efficient cruise at 8-12.

Would design for 2 be enough or should you desigh it for 4 on such a boat. Maybe desigh an upper and lower level or front and rear accomodations..

I really like the design and hope it comes to fruition.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

JoshuaAhab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JoshuaAhab »

Hi Jacques,

All I can say is,"Sweet!". Patience is a virtue they say. I'm glad I have other things on my plate at the moment so I never had the urge to rush you on this reimagining (is that a word?) of Atkin's River Belle.

One question I have is how seaworthy or seakindly do you imagine your version to be? Atkin's River Belle was designed for use on relatively calm waters if I remember correctly. Dave Gerr's boats are quite seaworthy according to the articles I've read.

In any event I'm glad you're back on this project. Give 'er hell!

JoshuaAhab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JoshuaAhab »

Oops! Another question. Atkin's River Belle has a stated draught of 17" resting and 15" underway. Is your design's draught going to be identical? Or will you need to make some compromises to make it more seaworthy?

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Jacques, check out Paul Bieker's long distance cruiser. Not as shallow, but similar idea.

http://biekerboats.com/project/40ft-long-range-cruiser/
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

That is a great looking design :!:
That looks like it would be perfect for doing the loop. The super shallow draft would come in handy lots of places I am sure. First thing I thought of was being able to anchor up in places so shallow it would keep you from being run over in the middle of the night.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jacques, I agree!! A real beauty!! Jeff