sailboat under bridges?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
jwassdo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: sailboat under bridges?

Post by jwassdo »

I love the CR13, but it has a stayed rig. I'm worried it might be harder to adapt a tabernacle to it. BTW I currently winch up an aluminum jonboat onto the creek bank. It weighs over 350 with the motor. It's a real handful, but at least I know I can handle a bit more weight. But I struggle with it on the floating dock. I think somewhere in the 200-225 pound range would be my max.

Jeff

Michaelz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Michaelz »

Hi again. I wouldn't think of tilting a 3-1/2 four stroke Merc to try to sail (it would put too much weight in the stern and I save the gas motor for fishing trips); when sailing I hang a 40# 12V trolling motor on the transom and just raise the shaft up when under sail (it doesn't get in the way of the sprit poles or rudder on the CK17). I followed the example of some Aussi bloke who ties his line-to-pole connections with what he calls "cow hitches". Therefore my masts have no hardware to get in the way; to lower the masts, I simply loose a knot and my poles are free. My sheets are tied to the sprit poles with reef knots and really aren't an issue in pulling or setting the masts. If you get serious about my method of rigging the CK17 and want to see it live or in pictures, I'm above JAX and we can set something up. email: mzsvcsllc@gmail.com

Ah, the OT16...it is a TENDER boat; with care and calm waters one person can stand and fish from it. Under sail and a breese, you better be prepared to be your own rail meat ( you can get 6 MPH out of it). As Jacques (and others) designed it, it is a really fun rowing skiff. I can't tell you how many people wanted to buy mine when I rowed on the river above Atlanta. For shear beauty, it blows rowing shells away and it can keep up with many collegiate rowers, plus you can carry cargo or a passenger.

jwassdo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jwassdo »

If you have pictures of that process I would be most appreciative. I may take you up on that demonstration offer sometime (thanks!) But for now it helps me to know that process is feasible on that boat.

I like the looks of the otter the best, then the c13, then the cat ketch. But terms of versatility the ck17 blows the others away and does it without being too heavy. I'm leaning in that direction right now. Where do put the battery when you use the electric motor?

Jeff