Teardrop trailer - first images

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Teardrop trailer - first images

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Hey,

Got inspired the other night and pushed the design forward. The issue I have with most teardrop trailers is that no standing headroom. And an outside kitchen; which isn't as much fun in the rain.

This design is clever. The upper portion is like a shoebox lid with tall sides. When lowered, it is behind the slipstream of a small car. It has a queen size bed, with storage under the bed big enough for several typical Rubbermaid 25 gallon totes. Keep your clothes, food, and camp chairs under the bed. When raised you can stand in the back part of the trailer in the small kitchen area. You can sit on the bed and cook if it's raining. If it is nice outside find a site with a picnic table and use that.

To lift the upper portion you can get 2 strong people and just lift and pin it in place - but at about 160 lbs there will be an option to fit a simple central lifting jack mechanism. It uses an acme (square thread) screw, a cordless drill and will do the job with a lot less effort. I'm sure 90% of people will choose this option.

The car pictured is a Mazda 3 hatchback; a pretty small car - but you can see how the lowered trailer is tucked well behind the car.
trailer 2.jpg
Raised. That's a 6' person. Who is green, like most of us.
trailer 1.jpg
3D view - see how the top part of the trailer slopes inward and the front slopes back? All in the name of good aero.
trailer 3.jpg
Trailer lowered for trailering. Very slippery shape
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Teardrop trailer - first images

Post by jacquesmm »

Looks good.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent »

Evan, nice design, consider using gas charged lifts to overcome the roof weight factor. Best wishes

Grit19
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grit19 »

That does look good. Very creative. Will this be a stitch and glue construction too :lol:
There ain’t no ride like this in Disneyland!

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
I like this design and when living in South Africa I always wanted to have such a caravan. You could buy them from a trailer shop which made them fold away as they called them. This might be an idea for your design to make the 4 walls that lift up out of canvas and have just 4 corner struts which hold the roof up.

Something like this :

But please carry on with designing it with lots of pictures it interests me as much as all the boat building pictures.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Evan, I very much like the design!!! Much more useable than the teardrop, especially for us bigger guys!! Jeff

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Very nice Evan!

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Thanks for the idea for gas struts. I'll consider it.

I wanted to avoid canvas sides like a pop up tent trailer - because not everybody who can sew.

Yes, it will be stitch and glue style construction.
SK17,MM21/MT24

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Now if anybody can point me to a supplier of gas springs with the following specifications:

- 24" stroke (this seems to be the hardest thing to find)
- lift force about 100 lbs
- off the shelf - not a custom gas spring. I want one that anybody can easily order
- reasonable price, say $25 - 50 each.

(I also looked into linear actuators but they are about $150 each and you need 1 on each side)
SK17,MM21/MT24

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Garage extension springs will cost around $20.00 for a spring that can lift 150 pounds 7 feet. If you need to only lift a few feet then the correct pulley system could lift 300 pounds with one spring. Then if you have the weight that needs to be lifted counter balanced you can use a window motor to lift and lower by switch.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0