Teardrop trailer - first images

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Teardrop trailer - first images

Post by Matt Gent »

You could make a pivot mechanism to reduce the stroke requirement. And it doesn't need to lift the entire weight, even cutting it in half would be a big help. Also want some kind of locking pin at top so you aren't reliant on the struts.

Why call this a tear-drop if it doesn't actually have that shape? Light-weight or mini camper would be more appropriate.

I've spent some time in my girlfriend's T@B. At 5-10 I am 1 inch short of standing up in it at the entrance, which is the tallest point. An extra 2" would make it a different experience for me, I basically only sit or lay down inside. The bathroom is there, and useable in a pinch, but awful small. We are normally at a campground and I use the facilities. I actually like the exterior kitchen, gives a nice big space to cook in. And I can stand up and move around while cooking. Tradeoff is more sitting and storage space on the inside. We don't often travel when it will rain, but I have cooked under it in the rain. That size and layout works great for a couple, for a long weekend, with an outdoors focus and activities.

Do you have a plan view layout to share?

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick »

Evan, looks like a Hi-Lo Trailer: http://www.hilotrailer.com/home

How about a "Tall" version for those of us over six feet? (I suppose you could just build it with taller lower walls, right?)

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

This post shall be titled "The Tyranny of the Sheet"

I called it a teardrop trailer because a lot of people know what it means. It started as a teardrop style but evolved. In my mind it's still a teardrop, just with nicer aerodynamics. It is somewhat similar to a Hi-Lo but a lot smaller and lighter!
----------------------------------------------------------------
A lot of time Jacques or I spend time designing boats (or camping trailers) is optimizing for 4'x8' sheets of plywwod. Just a change of a few inches in one direction mean that the poor customer must buy 1 or 2 more sheets of plywood, which nobody wants to do for a small bit more here or there.

The trailer has been optimized more than any boat I've done to make it fit within the confines of a sheet of plywood. I threw away many hours of design work because I was designing from the floor up. I forgot the upper section is longer - by the thickness of the plywood sheet to nest over the 8' long bottom section.

Here's some nesting. Blue is 3/4" bottom, brown is 3/8" lower sides/bunk platform/inside furniture. Green is 1/4" upper sides/roof. Yes you could make the lower section 2" higher. It would mean that the dinette is 2" lower because some of those pieces are the seats when it is in dinette configuration. I will leave it up to individual builders if they want to do that. In reality most people won't stand for long because the floor space is too small. The trailer is set up first and foremost with the dimensions of a queen size mattress. Yes, you could get a foam mattress a few inches shorter to give 3" more floor space.
Anyway my friend looked at the design and said it had to have a dinette. Well now it does. Mattress has to be foam, so you can have it in 2 pieces, and stack them on top of each other when the table is up.
There is just enough room for a portable toilet in the back right corner but this isn't shown in current model
CAMPER DINETTE4.jpg
CAMPER DINETTE4.jpg
CAMPER DINETTE3.jpg
Attachments
CAMPER DINETTE2.jpg
CAMPER DINETTE.jpg
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Very interesting.

A few years ago I saw a teardrop atop a pontoon, with a shade fly over. Aesthetically it was a little messy, but if designed right ......
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Evan, I like it!!! I like it very much!!! Nice work!! This will make a great CNC Kit. Are you planning to specify the requirements for the trailer?? Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I keep reading that most RV's are junk. Building your own on top of a good trailer is one way to get something that will last. This is a neat deal.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Honestly just about any small flat trailer will do just fine. I'll show stiffeners under the bottom that you can bolt to any trailer's cross beams.

Even a cheap as anything Harbor freight one will work:
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotiv ... 62645.html

The top section is about 125 lbs without paint using cheap pine or fir plywood. The bottom section will be more like 250+ lbs because it has the furniture and is made of thicker plywood. But 375 lbs for a small trailer is pretty light. Add 150 lbs for the Harbor Freight trailer + 100 lbs of food, camping equipment, etc = 525 lbs. ANY car can tow that light a weight.
SK17,MM21/MT24

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Could lightly glassed blue foam be used on the top to provide a little insulation ?

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

No the curves of the roof wouldn't allow a rigid foam

This is a good alternative:
http://kayakoutfitting.com/index.php?ma ... x&cPath=15

Glue on with contact cement.

Or maybe the reflective bubble wrap type as well.
SK17,MM21/MT24

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Evan,
A Happy New Year to you and hopefully we hear and see some more of your nice trailer project.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433