Smaller pontoon boat- EC24 or PC20 but shorter?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Smaller pontoon boat- EC24 or PC20 but shorter?

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:06 am Maintenance to me is oversight and money, too.

Watching solar charge rates, managing charging systems, spending 5 grand more for Torqueedo; all a lot of unneeded xtra bs.
You are actually stating that you have redefined "maintenance" to mean "total cost of ownership". Maybe you should use terms the way everyone else does. It would make your opinions much easier to understand.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Dougster wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:47 am I know I harp on it a bit, but so far I'm loving the 5 horse Tohatsu propane outboard SK14. Gets 5 hours on a little 11 lb propane tank when run hard. Go all day at idle. No smelly gas, no Stabil/alcohol free worries.
There's your easy button. If she can change a propane cylinder on a gas grill, she can refuel the boat.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I have a friend who has a dock his kids use with a rope through it tied off to shore and to an anchor way out. They just pull on the rope to go in and out.

If she primarily wants a platform to sun bathe and swim from, why not do something like that and use your solar/batteries to power an electric winch. Make it big enough with a grill and lawn chairs and a good place to tie up her paddle boat you have the best of all worlds.....

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

She wants a pontoon boat. A relatively small one. We live on the lake and she likes an early morning or evening cruise around- slow n quiet. Ability to take a few guests, or take the kids out swimming at the sand bar.

Doesn't want to mess around with an outboard. Doesn't want to carry gas tanks. Doesn't want to pull start.

This is a "boat for non-boaters" in a big way.

I appreciate the innovative ideas. That propane outboard is a great idea- I'm surprised more manufacturers don't make one. I'm pretty set on electric, though. We've already got a big and small powerboat, little sailboat, couple paddle boats, and a flock of kayaks. This'll be something a little different, specifically tailored to the wife's preferences. I'll hardly ever use it..

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

what about one of those "fishing shells" that are basically cats (not round pontoons) that sit low? I see them here regularly but I don't know who makes them. Seem to be 16' have a fairly shallow draft, i see them with electric troll for holding but use paddle for moving. I know it's not a "build it" but it might be the right idea...

GOOGLE FOR THE (kinda) WIN!!!

https://sundolphin.com/fishing-boats-dinghies/ is the idea.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Was there not a capacity requirement for 6 persons?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

correct, normally 2, sometimes up to 6. I'm ok with that being a bit of a squeeze since it's not the normal.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:37 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:06 am Maintenance to me is oversight and money, too.

Watching solar charge rates, managing charging systems, spending 5 grand more for Torqueedo; all a lot of unneeded xtra bs.
You are actually stating that you have redefined "maintenance" to mean "total cost of ownership". Maybe you should use terms the way everyone else does. It would make your opinions much easier to understand.
Running a solar power plant is also maintenance. More than maintaining a balance sheet.

But to be fair, the 5 hp Torqueedo and battery at 7k is hardly a fair comparison.

If you spend 5 times the money for low maintenance; it is worthy of mention, even if I misstated..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495