Solo flats skiff 13 vs SK14

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Cforester821
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Solo flats skiff 13 vs SK14

Post by Cforester821 »

Hello all,

I recently found the site and am convinced that I want to build my own boat.

A little background:

I’m in south Louisiana and love fishing small ponds/flats for redfish. Also like to get into some Speckled trout when I can.

I’m a bigger guy, 6’3 220, and want something that’s more or less a souped up kayak. I’m looking for something that I can feel pretty stable in standing up and fishing. I’m not looking for the stability of a full on boat since I mostly kayak fish. I actually like a touch on instability as it makes pulling in a 27 inch redfish that much more exciting.

I also want something I can throw in the bed of my truck and launch pretty quickly.

So that has led me to either the solo flats skiff 13 or the SK14.

I like that the 13 only weights 80 something pounds, but am a little unsure of the stability when it comes to standing up in it.
I also like the beam width so I can easily sit down and paddle it like a kayak if I don’t have an outboard on it.

However, I do like the idea of the bigger SK14 since I might be able to handle a little more open waters with it and be able to target different species of fish. But it seems the SK14 would be difficult to sit down and paddle due to the wider beam and heavier weight of the boat.

To summarize:

FS13: I like that it’s very light and can put an outboard on it or easily paddle it like a kayak. But I am unsure of stability when standing up and cranking in a bid red being that i’m 6’3 220.

SK14: I like the idea of being able to do more and the added space, but it seems like it would be limited as far as paddling goes.

I’d appreciate any input from those with experience with these boats!

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Solo flats skiff 13 vs SK14

Post by Dougster »

My SK14 is too heavy for me to think about putting it in the back of a pickup. 'Course I have a 5 hp Tohatsu on the stern and Minn Kota trolling motor with battery on the nose. As for stability, two people can fish in it w/o much problem, and standing is no issue at all. I have a portable chair I put in it. It may be more boat than you want though. I tow it easily with a little Academy bought trailer.
It will paddle but it's no kayak. Dunno about the FS13, but I'm sure you can easily stand in it. Beware the listed weights, since many of us end up over building and considerable heavier.

Dougster

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

My FS13 is going on a trailer! She's a fat girl for sure. :oops: No 80lbs! There is no way I'd want to try putting it in the bed of a truck.

Cforester821
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cforester821 »

Are we talking about the same boat? The one i’m referencing has a max beam of 38 inches and is basically a kayak/SUP

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Yes! :lol: With battery and teolling motor, she will be around 125 - 150 lbs is my guess.

Cforester821
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cforester821 »

Nice. How stable do you feel in it when you stand up?

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

I feel like I'm not done enough to say! I haven't splashed yet. :lol:

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
The designed weight is 85 lbs but I think even that Jeff raised my status to a Bateau builder I am not so sure if I stand up to it with the weight of my built boats. I did not weigh my FS13 but I think I am about 10 percent above the designed weight because I always put on too much fairing and even that I sand most of it off again I am always too heavy with my builds.
I can say it is easy to pull off the trailer directly into the water or onto the 2 wheel slip dolly I also have. 2 People can easily carry it over a 100 meter distance like my niece and myself with handle ropes attached to the 2 metal rings at the rear and the bow ring.
Definitely 2 guys can muscle it when I at 72 and my niece 36 could carry it over a hundred yards and then down a steep embankment to the lake quite easily.
It is a lot of fun and it is very stable which I only found out after a couple of uses. I got more confident every time and have not fallen into the water yet.
I want to get a low seat so I can use it with a double paddle and do away with the chair and the grab rail. The width of the boat is ideal for paddling sitting down as well as standing up with a long paddle. I think Jacques designed with this boat a fun boat for a lot of uses. I think with a small 2.5 hp outboard it will just race across the lake because it moves already very fast with my electric trolling motor.
Here a picture with the electric motor and the FS13 in the water and my already build little remove able seat and the wooden grab rail :

I hope you will build the FS13.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Cforester821
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cforester821 »

Thanks so much for the input!

I think i’m Gonna settle on the SK14. I’ve seen several poster say they could fit another person in the boat without too much issue and I want to bring my dad fishing with me when I can. He’s a semi-retired doctor and wants to get back into fishing and that’s something we’ve bonded over.

I’ll probably end up building the FS13 later because I love the idea of a truly kayak-sized boat that is stable and can take a small outboard.

Thanks again!

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

If I could change to the SK14, I would.