OB19 Deadrise

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

OB19 Deadrise

Post by Joe H »

Maybe I'm missing it in the study plans but can someone tell me what the deadrise is in the OB19?

How's she handle a chop?

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OB19 Deadrise

Post by Fuzz »

Joe my plans show at the transom from the center line to the chine is three foot. The rise is 4 inches. You should be able to get the degrees from that. Hope that helps a little.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I don't like to list deadrise because it may give a false impression.
For the OB19, the dearise at the cutwater is 39 degrees and 7 degrees at the transom.

Most of the large Carolina style deepfishing boats have 0 degrees at the transom and run well through a chop.

It is true that deep vee boats (27 degrees) run smoothly through a chop but they roll to death once you slow down, so much that you can't troll with them. Plus, a deep vee requires much more HP for the same speed.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Thanks Fuzz!
I'd have to draw it up on CAD and measure the angle from there, :lol: but Jacques answer saved me from that.
As you know the OD while being one of the most stable boats, for that size, that I've ever been on was a rough ride, while the P19 with a 10 degree dead rise is a better ride in rough water but the high wind shield I put on it acts like a sail and tough to maintain the right drift in the river.
7 degree's should be okay, I like the idea of stability I'll just have to learn to slow down in a chop, should be ideal for a fishing boat and I'm almost ready for another build.

Jacques, thanks for replying so fast!
I understand the trade-offs, the P19 I love and will never sell but I need, in spite of what my wife say's, I need a boat strictly for fishing, the OB19 might be just the ticket, I'm also looking very closely at the GP21.

Oh, one more question, Wade, in one of your post you mention with a bigger engine raising the sole of the OB19 , how much would you recommend?

May be a new post coming soon in the Builders Power Boat section.

Joe H

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

If you want a true fishing boat go for the C19 unless you need the cabin of of the P19. The C19 has a dead rise at the transom of 14 degrees the most JM designed in for a small boat. It easily handles rough water and has been taken out to the Gulf Stream. It is a large boat for its size. With a T-top you can be really be set up for fishing. A 115 will push her over the low 40's. A 90 in the high 30's.

I see your from Michigan are you looking to fish Huron or Michigan. If so then the C19 is even better for you or the P19 if you need a cabin. The P19 can take up to a 150 hp motor as it is heavier.

Well good luck on your decision and keep us posted on your build.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Hi Tom,
Have I been off of this site for that long?

Joe H

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Hi Joe, I responded about the sole on my build thread. Regarding the ride: I take it out all the time in pine island sound and nearshore in the gulf of Mexico. One trip was 60ish miles one way in open water down the coast. However, in over a foot and especially in a 2 foot chop, head on and you'll slow down. Quartering or beam seas or running with it, no problem. It is safe in much bigger seas at a slower speed.

This boat likes weight forward while on plane. I am sure my choice of a 115hp 4 stroke adds to this. My gas and battery are in the console (safely separate! ) I also added about 20lbs total of chain into the anchor locker at the bow. It still likes a full 72 quart cooler in front of the console when running into a head sea as this really keeps the prow down and you are hitting the waves with the 39 deg cut water instead of the 7deg deadrise.

My comparison boats all have over a 21 deg deadrise. The OB19 does not ride into a headsea like a 25 deg boat. However the tradeoffs are very worth it in efficiency, stability, beam, speed, draft, etc... I am very happy with the overall package even in bigger bodies of water. If the only goal had been pure head sea comfort the c19 is very slightly better I suppose, or the cs25 for that matter. My other boat is a 32 intrepid.

Finally, a pair of trim tabs would also keep the prow down and make weight distribution much less important in a head sea. I do not think for my needs the 115 is either too much hp or too heavy. The boat does well with it. My thoughts are minor ideas most people do not even notice on a boat.

Hope that helps
Wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Joe H wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:44 pm Hi Tom,
Have I been off of this site for that long?

Joe H
No it was me and just getting to the cabin in Iowa, I was tired after the two day drive. :lol: Glad to see you back at another project. It will be a pleasure to watch you at it again. Get after those Walleye :D With the C19 you won't need to make any adjustments to plans. A 115 motor will allow you to get to get to the fishing spots at 40 mph in good weather and with the C19 design not slow down as much in the crappy stuff. A 90 would also work well, but the C19 is a big boat. The C19 is the one I so wanted to build as it had all the advantages and none of the disadvantages of the others here. Oh, well I can only dream now that I have the CL's "No Excuse"

If you need more comments on the C19 let me know. I have followed every build and know what works best and what doesn't.

On the other hand Joe one of the early builders built an OB17 on the west coast and put a 75 on it and used it offshore in Oregon and was completely satisfied. For your area the OB19 may be plenty of boat for you and it sure would take less time to build than a C19 and less materials/cost. Plus you can deck it out and paint it out like all those fancy walleye boats from the manufacturers that cost $50 - 75,000. :lol: You know who I mean guys like Ran***. https://www.rangerboats.com/fiberglass/ ... build.html

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978