Cat 22

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cat 22

Post by BarraMan »

I come from the home of Noosa and Kevlar cats. Can't say I have ever seen one lean into a turn - the the physicist in me struggles to see how it could happen. 8O

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

There are power catamarans designed with asymmetrical hulls that will lean into turns such as this cat: http://www.morrellimelvin.com/corsairfoiler/specs.html

I am sure as with any design there are tradeoffs to having asymmetrical hulls vs. the traditional power catamaran designs. The CT 22 will not lean into a turn.
Completed D15, Completed PH18

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

Picture of an asymmetrical hull:

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

So are you saying that the CT22 has symmetrical hulls and the hulls are interchangeable? :doh:

I don't have a dog in the fight. I'm just trying to learn... :wink:

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed »

I can see how with asymmetrical hulls it would allow the hull to roll/lean to the inside in turns. I would think asymmetrical hulls would have a greater draft and possibly not plane as well... off to reattach this now...

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

BB Sig wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:03 am So are you saying that the CT22 has symmetrical hulls and the hulls are interchangeable? :doh:

I don't have a dog in the fight. I'm just trying to learn... :wink:
Symmetrical hulls just means each hull is a mirror image.

Asymetric hulls have a flatter side on the inside typically.

Symetrical hulls are not interchangeable once you start adding decks. My hulls would have been swappable except bulkhead four was designed for the cockpit to be nested which made each hull specific to port n star.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

BB Sig

I posted examples of other catamarans designed with asymmetrical hulls that will lean in on turns.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

cvincent wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:50 am BB Sig

I posted examples of other catamarans designed with asymmetrical hulls that will lean in on turns.
I know but you said the CT22 would not lean. Does that mean it has symmetrical hulls? Not arguing just trying to understand why it won't lean. :?

I'll do some research online. I understand the difference between symmetrical and asymmetrical just not how they affect a cat. It is an interesting topic to me. I rode in 2018 Twin Vee Oceancat 260 GF on a charter trip out of St George Island. Great boat and took the chop really well. We limited out on snapper that trip.

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

Thanks BB Sig. I read the plan notes posted online where the CT22 will not bank on inside turns. There is another 40ft catamaran made by Berky boats which appears to have symmetrical hulls but the outside trailing edge of each hull near the transom is tapered. I hope to build the CT22 one day.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

cvincent wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:53 am Thanks BB Sig. I read the plan notes posted online where the CT22 will not bank on inside turns. There is another 40ft catamaran made by Berky boats which appears to have symmetrical hulls but the outside trailing edge of each hull near the transom is tapered. I hope to build the CT22 one day.
I hope you do and post lots of pictures! :lol: Unfortunately, I think that holds some people back from building one is that the forum doesn't have a build. Maybe Jeff should sponsor ( % off) a good builder to build and document one. I think that would show what it is really like to build one and have a performance review. :wink: