Truck Bed?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Florida36
New Poster
New Poster

Truck Bed?

Post by Florida36 »

I am about to pull the trigger on the sk14, but want to make sure i will be able to transport it in my truck bed with a bed extension rail.
My main concern is it being able to fit between the wheel wells. I have a 2005 2nd generation Tacoma pre runner, has anyone fit the sk14 in
a tacoma? Thanks

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Truck Bed?

Post by Dougster »

No I have not. My SK14 is 49" at it's widest, so you can check. That width is at the top of the sheer of course, which is a foot or so above the keel. Mine has an outboard on the stern and trolling motor with battery on the nose, so would be way too much for me to handle in my truck bed. I use an inexpensive Academy trailer for transport, works well. I do use a bed extender for my canoe and think w/o the motors I could man handle the boat on that way. At 71 years old I could do it mind you, except that my back is, as luck would have it, 71 years old too 8O

BTW I love the little boat. It ran 11 mph with the 5 horse motor and my wife on board with me last week. Easy to launch and load, quick to wash and put away.

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Florida36, I think it will fit. Take Dougster's measurements and see how wide your bed is between the wheel wells. Jeff

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

fyi, if you find she is too wide; I have in the past made a simple stand up bed with 2x4s to get above the wells. This is dang handy to stow stuff under done right.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Florida36
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Florida36 »

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm really looking forward to this build!
So i measured the width between my wheel wells and its 45", the wheel wells start 18'' back from the front of the
bed and go back to 42'' from the front of the bed. I would greatly appreciate it if some one could measure the width at 18'' and 42'' from the bow and the stern. This would help me determine if i can fit it, and if it needs to be bow or stern forward in the bed.
Ive found that the my local lumber yard carries marine plywood, so i will be able to get that stuff there.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Florida36 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:29 am Thanks for all the feedback, I'm really looking forward to this build!
So i measured the width between my wheel wells and its 45", the wheel wells start 18'' back from the front of the
bed and go back to 42'' from the front of the bed. I would greatly appreciate it if some one could measure the width at 18'' and 42'' from the bow and the stern. This would help me determine if i can fit it, and if it needs to be bow or stern forward in the bed.
Ive found that the my local lumber yard carries marine plywood, so i will be able to get that stuff there.
I do not recommend building the boat with Roseburg plywood. I am using it for interior and a few tops at 3/4", but personally would not use for a hull.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I think it will fit bow on but not stern first.

Width at 18" from bow: 20 1/2"
Width at 42" from bow: 37 1/2" (approx--battery in the way, hard to measure well)
Width at 48" from bow: 38"

Seems like the nose will fit easily between the wheel wells.

Dougster

Florida36
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Florida36 »

Awesome thanks for the measurements! That gives me the green light.

The place i found has ocoume, so i think that's what i will be using. Is that a good choice for the hull? Will a long shaft 4hp mercury work on it, or would I be better off selling it and getting a short shaft?

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Okoume is great. That's what I used. Long shaft can work I think by simply cutting the transom taller. Oet's hear about that from others.

Dougster

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

If you already have the outboard you will be able to build the transom so it is a perfect fit. :D