GF12/ 14 Questions

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
bwaters932
New Poster
New Poster

GF12/ 14 Questions

Post by bwaters932 »

Hi Everyone,

My son and I would like to take the winter and build a new fishing boat for the spring. We live about 4 minutes away from a great bass fishery, and have good kokanee about 30 minutes away. I'm looking at one of the GF boats, haven't decided on what size yet. I've spent years looking at build threads and day dreaming about building my own boat, and we're excited to take it on.

What I would like to do is to build the hull, and then build out the inside with an aluminum angle deck, similar to a jon boat to bass boat conversion, and completely eliminate the bench seats. Is this something that I could accomplish with the GF lines? I have seen that the frames on the 16 can be modified, but it seems like I saw that it's not recommended on the 14. I've also considered building in stringers and a sole like Paul did on T's GF.

I'm sure that I'll have more questions once people chime in, so I'll follow up with those later.

Thanks!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GF12/ 14 Questions

Post by jacquesmm »

The seats are part of the structure. They are especially important in the GF boats because they don't have any stringers.
You can add decks but not remove the seats, sorry.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

BW,

Do you plan on remote or tiller steering?

I was just looking at the GF14 study plans and it seems like it would make a sweet little bass boat if you extended the deck between the bow deck and the middle bench to make one big platform. You could probably cut the top of the seat frames down slightly if that was too high. If you were doing remote steering you could put the console on the starboard side of the middle seat and mount a pedestal chair to the floor between the middle and rear bench. Might need to beef up the floor for that in that area.

It seems silly to build an aluminum deck, you might as well build it as one composite structure with the rest of the boat.

Phil

bwaters932
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bwaters932 »

Planning on tiller steer, I've been studying the same today and noticed the exact same thing. I'm looking now at folks who have reduced the sheer in the bow so I could mount a trolling motor.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Hi, I have built a GF14 and cut the sheer to mount a trolling motor. You can check the build thread (GF14 in France) or my gallery.
Best of luck
Olivier
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Unless your limited to room you can build the GF16 with the same materials as the GF14. Just a heads up. Take a look.

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Duplicate.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978