VG18 question for Jacques

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

VG18 question for Jacques

Post by Bogieman »

Hi Jacques! Would it be possible to modify the VG18 sail/rig to a keel stepped non stayed- rotating mast like I have on Tipsy? Could a modified lug rig be used?
Could this be accomplished by adding a laminated mast step-triple lamination of the upper part of the forward most frame- adding mast partner on deck?

Thank you

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: VG18 question for Jacques

Post by jacquesmm »

It's complicated but not impossible.
You need a strong mast step and a very strong deck partner. You can do that with laminated wood as you propose.
The VG18 had a relatively high deck, a good mast bury.
Do you have mast specs?

To switch to a lug rig may require moving the mast. It all depends what you have in mind. Do you plan for a Chinese lug? Do you have the Van Loan book? It explains how to adapt a boat to a chinses junk rig, unstayed.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Thanks Jacques!
I don’t have mast specs but I do have the Van loan book. I really like your modified Chinese lug rig (The one I have on tipsy ) because it’s simple-i’d like to do the exact same thing if I was to build a VG 18. The only way I’d build the VG18 is if I could do it the way I mentioned
I’m not worried at all about high performance-I’m too lazy for racing and all that

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

If I had just finished a big build project, and wanted to do it again, not sure I would choose a boat that's only 2 feet longer. Granted that even at that modest size increase there's still a big increase in complexity and also capability over the AD, but if I already had a 16 foot sailboat to use, I would probably be looking at the VG20 or VG23. Pretty sure I would also build the sail rig as-designed too. Couple reasons for this; the first is that as I see it, one of the biggest reasons to build a VG18/20/23 in the first place is the performance. Second is that as a practical matter, for even a 2 foot increase in length, you will be looking at a larger rig in general and a heavier mast to step each time you go sailing. The free standing mast, you are going to have to raise that to vertical to install it, and then you will have to lift it back out and lower it. It will be more difficult than what you currently have, how much I don't know but it will be a thing. The conventional rig for a VG will also have to be raised and lowered, but there you can use the running rigging and a gin pole to raise and lower it in a more controlled manner with mechanical advantage. Or even an electric winch if you have your trailer set up that way.